Sign in to follow this  

Does sand really do damage? FEEDBACK PLEASE!

My favorite freeride place is Glamis.. Boose, Boobs , and Razorbacks... Im trying to get more of my buddies out there but they claim that the sand &%$#@! your bike up... I have been going to the dunes for the passed 12 years and i don't have serious problems.... Wada you think?

Does sand f**k up your bike even if you take care of it out there?

Or are my friends a bunch of ignorant wannabe metal mulisha fruitcakes that are too scared to try sand?

Riding in such deep sand like the dunes puts a large strain on the motor bu there really is no problem with it.

Riding in such deep sand like the dunes puts a large strain on the motor bu there really is no problem with it.

sand in Jacksonville, FL destroyed my OEM chain & sprockets in < 2 hours.

It also works it's way into linkages, pivot points & wheel bearings.

I recall reading for sand, you may consider going NARROWER in rear tire width, i.e. from a 110 to a 100.

>> Under hard acceleration, the rear tire normally breaks loose. When you are in deep sand, the TRANSMISSION absorbs the strain

>> Bad News...

its a dirt bike..not the space shuttle...just clean it good when you go home. i have riden in just about every type of condition there is for off road..sand, dust, rocks, mud, snow..etc. yes, sand is harder on a bike than any other type, but its a friggin dirtbike.....thats what it's made for...get out there and run what ya brung!!!!! :thumbsup:

Sand...paper...heard of it? Getting sand in the engine is not a good combo. One small tear in the airfilter and every stroke is like grinding on your engine with pistons with sandpaper.

sand can get in to your wheel bearings and pivot points, so you may have to replace them more often.

you have to watch your filter and other maintenance items.

sure, it may put some extra strain on the engine and transmission, but WHO CARES!?! it's a blast. it's the most fun i have on my bike. i can't wait for the weather to cool down. i'm planning on about 4 trips down to glamis this season.

your buddies are pansies. rip up the sand!

As long as you take all the necessary steps to prep your bike, and then clean your bike after; everything should be O.K. I use filter covers also, they work great. I prep one for every day I'm going to be there. Also I have never done this, but maybe a shock sock for the rear shock. My brother sandblasted his shock once and the seal went bad on it.( He didn't even have the plastic flap though.)

Ride your damn dirt bikes. :thumbsup:

Make sure your airfilter is properly oiled and clean.

If you're real anal you can clean and regrease all the bearings/pivots when you get back, but come on, these things are built to take abuse.

Sound weird but don't lube your chain before you ride in sand.

The sand just sticks to your chain and sprockets and just grinds them away before you know it.

Leave your bike babying friends at home, that way there's more room at the dunes for the rest of us.

Sand will shorten the life of many components, but the best way to maximize your bikes life is to keep it at home in the garage, I prefer to ride mine and replace parts as needed.

They do have a valid point in that you will wear out brake pads, chain & sprocket faster, strains the motor, and infiltraits your front forks quicker (more so wet sand).

That being said I've never passed on the opportunity to ride on a good sand track.

Yeah,, they're being puss's. :ride::thumbsup:

I recall reading for sand, you may consider going NARROWER in rear tire width, i.e. from a 110 to a 100....

You got this totally backwards. In sandy conditions you want a wider tire for better traction. It's the same principle as letting a few psi out of your tire on a sandy track or in the dunes, widens the tire = better traction.

Sand will shorten the life of many components, but the best way to maximize your bikes life is to keep it at home in the garage, I prefer to ride mine and replace parts as needed.

i'm not convinced there's anything wrong with sand. beach sand (mixed with salt or saltwater) is probablya completely different story tho.

think about it. sand grains are bigger than dust grains. how would they get past your hub seals or other seals? we ride in LOTS of sand in nevada, especially the races in the south, and stuff lasts me virtually forever as long as we don't get into muddy stuff. i think alot of the stories about sand being bad for bikes is from folks that ride pismo, or the oregon dunes that are right on the beach. or maybe there's some other inherent difference between nevada sand and other sand. :thumbsup:

ummm, okay :thumbsup:

Well put.

Usually the people who don't ride in the sand dune in fear of ruining their dirtbikes are the same ones who drive their $50K trucks in the salt water along the ocean in Pismo Beach Dunes. They are lame either way.

Have fun. The sand is a blast. Just wash it when you get homef if you want to.

Sand cleans your bike really good. Takes all the dirt and mud off your bike and makes your tires look like new. When you are all done you don't even need to prep your frame just paint it. Nah j/k sand dunes are about the funnest place to ride and well if I was afraid of hurting my dirt bike because of sand I wouldn't have one. I'm more afraid of going too big at the dunes than hurting my bike. I did burn up my 125 in the sand dunes one time though, the guy at the bike shop was right 125= 6 paddle tire not 8. 8 paddle bad for 125.