Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis Surcross front or Maxxis Maxcross SI front

Has anyone tryed them both? Which is better? I have the Maxxis IT on the front right now and i don't like it. I have heard about the surcross here or the SI but can anyone tell me the difference? they seem to be built for the same terrain so i am not sure what maxxis' goal here is. I basically am looking for something that will help my front stick to the ground a little more than the IT and stock 739s did. I ride a mixture of conditions, mostly dry loose dirt but heck the 739s are supposed to be good on that and i didnt like them, i'm thinking a soft terrain tire might be the fix from the other posts here i have read but can't decide between these two.

The SI front is a good all around tire. Chris runs this tire in all but the hardest of conditions in the GNCC's and has had very good results with it. The surcross is really only suited for VERY muddy conditions or pure sand. Chris also likes the desert IT because the additional knob length helps reach past roots and get traction. Try the SI, I think you will like it.

I like (for my muddy,sandy, loamy conditions here in Illinois) the Michelin S12. They stick great and wear like iron. A couple bucks more, well worth it. I used to run D752, which worked well but wore out quickly. D739 did NOT work for me in those conditions, I think it's more for hard pack and rock.

The D739 is a purely hardpack tire - it doesn't like loose stuff at all. Not many (any) people I know run Maxxis fronts at all.

I see some Michelin S12s on ebay but they are 90/90/21, not 80/100/21. But on michelin's website, they have the size as 80/100/21(90/90/21), does this mean they are the same thing? i'm not quite sure why michelin did that.

I haven't tried a Maxxis SI. But I have ran the following frint tires on my YZ250F:

-Dunlop 739

-Dunlop 756

-Michelin MS3

The Dunlop 739, I though was pretty good on blue-groove or hardpack with a little layer in dirt on top of it. But it would wash out hard and fast. And it didn't work well.

The Dunlop 756, I thought worked well on loamy conditions. But sucked on Hardpack. Not that it would wash out often. Just I couldn't feel like I could push hard while riding on hardpack.

The Michelin MS3, I love. It is the most versatile tire ever. I would definetly get the MS3 or maybe the MH3 if I were you.

To this point i have run the IT in the Rears. Up front i have run a few different dunlops, which ones i dont really remember, but i ran a few as i got good deals on them in the past. Recently i decided to run the SI up front, cause i like the IT rear, and have heard decent things about the SI. For my ridding, which includes all types of trail conditions, various local tracks, and some sand dunes, i think it is the best overall tire i have tried yet. I am sold on the SI and will get it again. As for the Surcross, i have never tried it, so i am no help there. Si=good choice, My .02cents

I have the Surcross set on mine right now. Both tires seem very narrow, especially the front. The rear tire hooks up awsome in sand and intermediate conditions, but will not withstand hard pack. The front tire seems to grab the dirt very well in the intermediate, I have alot more confidence with this tire than some of the Dunlops I've tried in the past. Seems like you can push the bike harder in the corners and lean much further, maybe thats because its so narrow? Not really sure but it bites great... Not too fussy with it in the sand.

Thanks for the response guys. I think i will try the SI