Sign in to follow this  

Maintenence- How long, how often

I just picked up a '01 WR for my wife. She won't be racing (yet) but I'm curious as to how often I should perform the maintenence procedures and how long does it take for something like a valve adjustment check, etc. Should I consider a day of riding as a 'race?'

I change my oil every 6 hours, the air filter every ride (unless it really doesn't need it, most times it does) and adjust the valves when it gets hard to start.

i change my oil and air filter every other ride and oil filter every three times i change the oil and like cpsmith said check the valves when it gets hard to start

I just check my valves for the first time. It took my about 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Now that I have done it, I could do it in less than one hour including disassembly and reassembly. I took my time and made sure I did things right. I it not hard at all. You will need a feeler Gage, and a torque wrench if you do not have them. Everything else you should have. They do sell engine hour meters that only run when the engine is running. I am going to get one so I do not have to rely on the "hard to start, time to check valves method."