Sign in to follow this  

Who has an alarm on the DRZ400?

Just wondering how feasible this is. I would like to use the motorcycle for commuting and going into town on occasions. However, I wouldn't ever enjoy myself as I would be so worried about the bike all the time. All the theft reports here on TT have me ultra-paranoid now. I'd like to get a simple alarm WITH a pager for peace of mind (in conjuntion with a lock of some kind also). I know insurance is there as a safety net but I want to prevent that option, not rely on it. It would still cost me hundereds in deductables and replacements costs not to mention weeks without a motorcycle.

I'm looking over the bike and wondering WHERE would I put even a small unit.....any ideas?

THanks.

If you can find a unit small enough put it in the bag on the rear fender.

I saw a Honda with the Harley alarm on it like that. Pretty nice setup. I would also get a rotor lock if your worried.

Not to freak you out but the real problem with the DRZ is that you can pick the bike up with a buddy and put it on a truck and drive it away.... :thumbsup:

In the bottom of the air-box is where my local alarm fitter said.

Unless you do not have the 3x3, and do not want it, in which case under the seat.

I also thought about behind the right radiator shroud, but you would need to move the horn.

Also you need to consider the tiny battery on a DRZ.

A point worth noting, (not sure if this applies in the US) over here most people want a "Thatcham" approved alarm.

This will in most cases give cheaper insurance, the down side is it needs to be fitted where the qualified fitter is happy with it, and that usually means where it can be protected from tampering by a contact switch.

If he is not happy, he will not issue a certificate of conformity.

No certificate, no cheap insurance, if you have lied about the certificate, no pay-out when it gets stolen.

Neil.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

In the bottom of the air-box is where my local alarm fitter said.
That's where I put mine... but fixed to the RH side wall of the air box. It's an acumen 911 which is an alarm I've used on lot of bikes. Nice and compact and does what I want - i.e. makes a shit load of noise if someone bumps into or moves the bike. It's not "insurance approved" but it's small, easy to fit/locate on a SM and does what I want.

Although not always practical I would always advise people to get a good chain and lock and chain the bike through the frame to something solid. Don't put the chain through the front or back wheel as they can be removed and by solid don't chain it to something like a trailer, someone on another forum I am a member of lost two bikes when thieves used an angle grinder to cut through the frame of his bike trailer. Be safe out there.

Although not always practical I would always advise people to get a good chain and lock and chain the bike through the frame to something solid. Don't put the chain through the front or back wheel as they can be removed and by solid don't chain it to something like a trailer, someone on another forum I am a member of lost two bikes when thieves used an angle grinder to cut through the frame of his bike trailer. Be safe out there.
You are Zanx from VD and I claim my free Almax :ride::thumbsup:

I Paid £300 GBP for a Meta Alarm.

The guy came to fit it and couldnt find anywhere on the bike!

So my stealership had to refund me the money!

The bike is tooo bloody compact for its own good! :thumbsup:

I use the GORILLA alarm model 7007 mounted behind the fairing.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=0&Category_ID=77&manufacturer_ID=42&product_ID=1017&related=short

You can buy the alarm with or without a 2 way pager. Alarm = $79, Pager = $118 additional.

Having had my bike stolen before (with my alarm blasting), I must say that an alarm and locks are good but nothing beats having full coverage insurance.

Good luck.

I just lock mine up to a something solid and around my frame but do not let the chain touch the grond or someone can beat it with a rock or something

I Paid £300 GBP for a Meta Alarm.

The guy came to fit it and couldnt find anywhere on the bike!

So my stealership had to refund me the money!

The bike is tooo bloody compact for its own good! :ride:

Tell me about it, everywhere the panels just does not allow anything to be mounted unless it's the size and thickness of a credit card :thumbsup:

Xena Disk alarm.

Had a kid at the movie theater try to get on my bike, and this thing went off scared the crap out of him. The nerve of some people.

Rotor Lock....Front and rear. If they want it bad enough they can carry thing! The bad thing about alarms is that one is going off for no reason every other minute..so most people don't give them a second glance.

The bad thing about alarms is that one is going off for no reason every other minute..so most people don't give them a second glance.

I agree. the only way I would get an alarm is if it had the pager feature. At least I have a fighting chance if someone starts messing with it. I'd have to park it somewhere where it would be a good carry to the nearest place a van or truck could park. It would be "fun" to catch them in the act. :thumbsup: