Sign in to follow this  

Tips for Wheelies in Low-Traction Situations

I'm interested in different ways to get the front wheel up in low traction situations (high and low speed). My WR450 has so much torque that it'll often break the rear wheel loose on hard pack or muddy ground. Tricks I use include shifting weight back onto back tire and lifting bars, slipping clutch, etc....but those don't always work well if I need to keep my weight forward for an upcoming obstacle. Any other ideas?

In situations where I just have to get a short pop for a log or something and still keep my weight forward, I stand up and put my chest over the bars, then jerk my whole bode backward and bring the bars up into my chest while hiting the throttle. It probably doesn't look pretty, but it works for me...

you already have the right idea. just keep as much weight as possiable to the back of the bike.

i do alot of low traction riding in the summer time and i usually start by finding a gear that i know will lift the front up. usually depending on my speed i pick 2nd or 3rd gear. i stand up then as soon as im standing i seat bounce with my ass on the furthest back position. This gives the tire a weighted down feel then grabs into the slippery surface. practice practice practice. whoops are great to learn on!

Push down on the pegs instead of pulling up on the bars. Seems to work much better even though it uses the same body position. Also if you going to try bouncing and pulling, use your knees and not your shoulders.

Grant

Jump down onto the bike, forcing your weight onto the pegs and the front forks and then lean back and blip the throttle. If your bike was lighter I would say muscle it but WR450's weigh a pretty good amount. I can pretty much just muscle my KDX up and over stuff.

Yep like they said ass back until it flips, finite clutch control helps too

aslo you can lower tire tire pressure ( i do about 8psi) and or the next tire you get make sure it has a wide, flat footprint like the Chen shing C-755 5.30-18

Like someone else said I kinda of bounce on the bike compressing the suspenion and when it come back I hit the throttle..while basically plant half on my butt on by rear fender..if Im standing up I still like compress the forks then just hit the throttle and pull back...