Sign in to follow this  

air filter recommendations?

Loving the new X :thumbsup: ... and now for the maintenance ????s

I realize that I should probably be going with a complete Twin Air Power Flo system, but I don't have the bucks for that right now... this month's check went to a skid plate, next month is radiator guard, next month is ???... you know the story. Anyway, I cleaned the stock filter last night after my 25 mile break in ride and the thing looked spotless! So I'm wondering, can I stick with the stock Honda air filter and just clean it often or should I really be using something else? What about the standard Twin Air filter without the Power Flo? Is anyone using a K&N? Other recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

so far no toil is the only company that makes a filter that actually fits the x. Most companies use r filters for the x but they are supposed to be different

I compromised and went with the Twin Air powerflow kit. I think it was about $110. It comes with a powerflow filter and the aluminum cage. For me its easier to install and eliminated the backfire screen.

Loving the new X :thumbsup: ... and now for the maintenance ????s

I realize that I should probably be going with a complete Twin Air Power Flo system, but I don't have the bucks for that right now... this month's check went to a skid plate, next month is radiator guard, next month is ???... you know the story. Anyway, I cleaned the stock filter last night after my 25 mile break in ride and the thing looked spotless! So I'm wondering, can I stick with the stock Honda air filter and just clean it often or should I really be using something else? What about the standard Twin Air filter without the Power Flo? Is anyone using a K&N? Other recommendations?

Thanks for the help.

I used the stock filter, with backfire screen removed, for a while. It obviously fits well but a problem occurs when you use most air filter cleaner solvents to clean it. These melt the glue that holds the foam ring seal in place. With the seal falling off you run the risk of ingesting dirt. The No-Toil product is one of the few that do not melt the glue. That said, I switched to the White Bros filter and use No-Toil on it. It is a dual density foam construction but remains in one piece unlike many of the other two piece filters. This makes the cleaning process much easier. When installing it does require some effort to push it unto the air box sealing area. This becomes easier with practice. The price won't bust your wallet either. I think I paid around $24.95. It works just fine with the stock nylon mounting device.

I cut the backfire screen and used Twin air fire retardent filter over stock frame, it fits perfect just put grease on lip of filter, people complain about the filter but mine goes right in with stock screw...its all in technique I guess.

All the sites I have seen ref the R filter, including the No-Toil site, are you saying the No-Toil 450r filter is for the X as well?

I have used all, including the twin air kit, they are fit/install like sh*t, my air box is opened up on top so I can reach in well...My KTM filter can be changed by anyone...