Sign in to follow this  

Shock leak

Ok I think that I know what to do to get this thing apart and back together but is is worth it to just replace the oil seal and not the dust seal? The reason is that the dust seals I will have to order and the oil seals are in stock. No time to wait for parts to come in. If i do this will i be wasting time and $ or will it work?

Thanks for the help guys.

I would just replace both. If you have problems then you've just wasted paying for a nitrogen charge and possibly a bladder if it ruptures when the seal goes.

I always just buy a complete seal head that includes the bushing along with the seals.

Thanks guys that was what I was thinking. This is a pretty cirtical area to take care of and I guess that I souldn't have thought to try and half a$$ it.

So I got my shock off and cleaned it off again to see if there was any oil leaking and I can't tell I'm wondering if it was from the hole in my clutch cover. The shock goes perfectly through the stroke very smooth and all the way to the top. Now my question is if it was leaking would it still return to the full stroke if it leaked out oil? I also listened very carefully to try to hear if there was any air in the shock and couldn't hear anything as well. I would guess that if it was leaking it would have some air in it.

So I got my shock off and cleaned it off again to see if there was any oil leaking and I can't tell I'm wondering if it was from the hole in my clutch cover. The shock goes perfectly through the stroke very smooth and all the way to the top. Now my question is if it was leaking would it still return to the full stroke if it leaked out oil? I also listened very carefully to try to hear if there was any air in the shock and couldn't hear anything as well. I would guess that if it was leaking it would have some air in it.

well i do not and have not seen very many showa shocks ( or kyb )

that leak at the head seal there.

the only ones i get are the ones with an million hrs of abuse on them with no service,

from what you are explaining to us --it sounds like you are ok-----i would make sure the charge is correct and that it was only as low as 100 --which they generally are ,

and your clutch cover leak was more than likely what you were seeing -----

it would not hurt to service you shock and replace the fluid -----but thats up to you ----it does not take very long if you have a guy that does them ---since you have it off

I just serviced it 15 hours ago. I think that it recomended at 30 hours so I'm going to put it back on and take a short ride and see it it leaks when it heats up. I'll check the charge but when I did it I took it over to our local Pro Action guy and he charged it up for me.

Thanks for the help.