Sign in to follow this  

Sand pits....... i need practice

Man o man what is the technique for sand pits..... i can never get enough rear wheel traction..... when i do get up to speed i have no problem turning or anything its just a complete RW wash out, constintly shifting gears and never in the right gear ....the final straw was when i cased a mild 6ft backside berm jump and bent my handlebars. couldnt carry my speed even @ WFO. now mind you its a sandpit for quads but they were ripping by me..... it cant be all because of my tires it has to be me.....HELP

How soft of sand is this? With my XR400 and a half bald MT21 (dual sport) I have no problem in sand pits (your's is probably a bit softer than what I ride in I'd assume). The pit I usually go to isn't huge, so I can't really get above 3rd gear, but I just gun it and hold the gear out until I have to shift, and lean back. When I hit hills I usually go WFO in 2nd gear. Haven't had a problem in the pits doing this yet.

It sounds like you just need to get more comfortable with sliding. When you go in a sandpit with a bike, without a paddle it's pretty much unavoidable. (atleast for me) I got pretty good at fishtaling my KDX and keeping my weight balanced so that, I could slide and not toally wash out my back end.

I understand that but its just nothing was working all i ended up doing was spinning the rear wheel is there any tricks for throttle control,wight shifting,gearing, other then a paddle tire?

I understand that but its just nothing was working all i ended up doing was spinning the rear wheel is there any tricks for throttle control,wight shifting,gearing, other then a paddle tire?

Keep your momentum up and don't be really twitchy with the throttle that will cause the rear tire to spn. Keep the throttle failry steady. Try and move your weight toward the back for traction

for me i usually ride in a higher gear and stay in the lower rpms. although my bike has tons of low end torque so i can do that. i'm not sure about yours but try going in a gear higher than usual and lean back. i dont think its your tire but getting a new one would help

those tires are toast,gotta have rubber in the dirt or anywhere for that matter on a bike

racing at southwick is the same thing, sit back on your seat, wide open, never let off the gas untill you reeach what you want, when you get there reposition to the ron tof your seat (also for corners) put the foot out to the inside of your corner and rail the burm, the bike will always fallow the front tire as long as you knwo the limit..

in sand there is never a perfect gear, ride out the one thats not boggingyour itre will always spin

the gear high idea i think was good. and role on the throttle instead of bursting it on. plus sit back.

i ride at a sand track with sand about the same depth on my yz 85 ans when i started i would do nothing but spin because my tire had little tread. so i got a new tire and it was way better. its your tire man you cant ride in sand with that much tread. also lean back and keep your speed up

I was just running some killer sand pits and trails over the weekend. I previously had my rear spring at the stiffest position and found it hard to keep the rear tire planted and had difficulty pulling the front tire when I needed it most. I left the tire pressures the same and softened the rear spring almost to it's softest setting. I'll tell you that I kept the rear planted far better and had that front wheel up in 1st, 2nd and into 3rd. What a difference.

so softest setting huh i will try that too and im a firm believer that little knobs are better then no knobs :thumbsup: