Sign in to follow this  

Quick question about cleaning carb

Ok, if you haven't seen my other threads, here's a quickie. I'm an idiot on motorcycles, having problems idling and don't have my FSM yet. Ok, it's been suggested I clean the carb out. I've got it disconnected except for the hose coming from the fuel on/off/res switch. My noobie question is if I disconnect this hose, will it drain my gas tank? I know, it's stupid, but this is my first bike and my first repair.

Also, once I get it off, is there anything I need to be on the watch for (flying springs, jets falling out, etc). Thanks so much for your help!!!

Mel

Think about it for a second. What happens when you turn the fuel switch to off. :thumbsup:

Ok. Like I said, it was a stupid question! Since this is my first repair/maintenance, I'm just a little nervous. Thanks for helping this noobie!!!

Mel

No problem.

You'll be fine if you keep all the parts in order and keep track of previous settings. These carburetors are super simple to work on.

When you do turn off the petcock and get it disconnected, there is a skrew towards the bottom that if you loosen a little it will drain all of the gas in the bowl through the little hose next to it. That way you don't have to deal with it while trying to open the bowl. There shouldn't be any jets falling out, although that did happen to me once while working on my old Yamaha....Somehow the pilot worked its way loose and was just sitting in the bowl. If that were to happen, your bike wouldn't even be running right now, so don't worry about it.

One last question. It's been stated that my pilot jet could be clogged also since it won't idle properly, but runs fine on throttle. Is this something that I could handle? If so, where is it?

BTW, I've got the carb off and it's not that dirty. Just a few specks on the bottom. I'm going to clean it out anyways.

Mel

The pilot jet is the really small one thats recessed up in a tube thing. Just get some carb cleaner and soak it for a little bit. Also make sure you can see through the pilot jet if/when you take it out.

Also, when I was reviving my old Yamaha this summer, I opened up the carb and it looked really clean. I decided to soak it for a bit in carb cleaner, and as soon as it was back together, it made a HUGE difference in performance.

So, should I take it out or just soak the entire carb in cleaner? If I take it out, anything special to get it out and back in?

Is it the one with a flathead screwdriver notch in it? My floats (I think) came out, but I'm pretty sure I got them back in correctly.

Thanks.

Mel

** UPDATE **

Ok, I got brave and took the carb off. It was actually easier than I thought. It wasn't that dirty at all, but I cleaned it anyways. I took the jet (pilot I believe) out and cleaned it. I took the one out that has 8 little holes around the tip.

Anyways, I put everything back together and started the bike up. The good news is it started first kick. Bad news is it's revving like a monster. It's like it's WOT! I turned the idle screw all the way out and it didn't help any.

So, what did I do wrong? I forgot to mention that while I had it apart, the black floats(?) came apart. I put it back together the way I thought it should go. Everything fit fine. Only other thing to mention is I had a little difficulty putting the spring/needle back into the top of the carb. I didn't bend it or anything, but it was a tight fit getting it in.

Mel

Pull the slide back out and spin it around. The wide slit that goes up about 1/2" goes on the idle side. The long skinny slit goes on the opposite side. When you put the slide back on turn the throttle so you can hear it hit the top and let it go and you should hear it hit the bottom. Also, did you put the white thing back in???? and did you blow compressed air through the pilot??? Whenever you put the pilot back in always make sure you can see through it.

Pull the slide back out and spin it around. The wide slit that goes up about 1/2" goes on the idle side. The long skinny slit goes on the opposite side. When you put the slide back on turn the throttle so you can hear it hit the top and let it go and you should hear it hit the bottom. Also, did you put the white thing back in???? and did you blow compressed air through the pilot??? Whenever you put the pilot back in always make sure you can see through it.

Ok, I didn't know that piece went back in a certain way, so that's definitely wrong. Stupid question, but which side is the idle side? Is it the side with the idle screw or the choke? What white thing?

No, I didn't blow compressed air through the pilot. Am I supposed to see from the top to the bottom or just through the side holes? I couldn't see from the top to the bottom but I could see through the side holes.

Mel

I took the one out that has 8 little holes around the tip.

I don't think the pilot should have 8 holes around the tip.... Maybe I am just remembering wrong or thinking of a different carburetor, but it should be the smallest one and just have threads on the outside of it. I think I had to find the smallest skrewdriver in my collection just to get it out.

Ok, I didn't know that piece went back in a certain way, so that's definitely wrong. Stupid question, but which side is the idle side? Is it the side with the idle screw or the choke? What white thing?

No, I didn't blow compressed air through the pilot. Am I supposed to see from the top to the bottom or just through the side holes? I couldn't see from the top to the bottom but I could see through the side holes.

Mel

Just line up the wide groove with the idle skrew and drop it straight down. The white thing is the cup that sits on the main jet. I don't know how neccesary it is to carburetor operation, but you might as well make sure it is still there. You should be able to see top to bottom on all jets, and as I said in my previous post, the idle doesn't have 8 holes as far as I can remember.

The white thing is a splash guard, it won't run correctly on the track without it. When you are bouncing around, it keeps the gas in the main jet so it doesn't bog. It only goes on one way. DON'T lose it!!!!!!

Some pilot jets have 8 holes on the side.

You should be able to look through the length of it, not just across it.

You didn't need to take the top off.... but since you did, on the slide (the round metal thing that goes up and down on the end of the cable) has a small slot on one side that lines up with a small pin that sticks out on the side of the body where the slide goes.

On the other side of the slide there is a wide groove that only goes only part way up... it lines up with the idle adjustment screw that sticks out the side of the body,

Inside the bowl there is a white plastic ring that fits around the main jet to keep the fuel from sloshing.

Can't remember what the floats look like.

wow, I used the search feature before posting my question and look what I found! I too did my first carb clean today and got everything hooked back up... but the throttle is unresponsive, no snap back to it. what did I screw up? thanks in advance!

wow, I used the search feature before posting my question and look what I found! I too did my first carb clean today and got everything hooked back up... but the throttle is unresponsive, no snap back to it. what did I screw up? thanks in advance!

You have the slide in wrong....read CrashTestDummyTraveler's post...Common rookie mistake....

Ok, something is wrong. If I line the wide groove up with the idle screw, it will no go all way down into the carb. Also, the throttle is unresponsive. If I turn it 180° and have the skinny groove towards the idle screw (throttle side of the bike), then the slides goes all the way down and the throttle is responsive. Am I wrong with this?

Mel

Nevermind. Now, the first 1/2 of the throttle is dead (no tension) and the bike won't start. The more I do, the worse it gets. I'm just going to take it somewhere and have them fix my mistakes. It seems good ol' Mr. Murphy came to visit once again! Thanks for everyone's help though!

Mel