Sign in to follow this  

Can't find source of oil leak near water pump

My bike just sprouted an oil leak. It is somewhere near the water pump area. Nothing major, just enough to make the frame get dirty right there below the water pump weap hole. This is definately oil, and I assume tranny oil.

Now, I haven't had the cover off in quite a few months, when I last did the water pump seals, so I doubt the leak is related to any work to the bike recently. I cleaned the bike up real good, but I can't seem to find the source.

The only change recently is I started running a bit more tranny oil than I used to, about 850ml compared to about 750ml in the past. I also started running Rotella (standard) in the tranny, where before I ran the Torco tranny oil exclusively.

Any ideas?

ben

call me crazy, this might seem a little far fetched but............... You think it might be your tranny check screw that is right next to the WATER PUMP. Its a long shot but i have heard rumors but mostly myths of this happening

WOW, oil capacity on the tranny side is 590 ml and you went all the way up to 850?? I think you found your problem! I know alot of people run an additional 100 ml with no problems but too much oil will cause seals to blow out.

I could of sworn I heard some guys running that much with no issues. I did reduce it this last oil change to 800ml (haven't ridden the bike yet).

I'll check the timing hole cover and filler check just to be sure. It could have been either, but I did just check my timing and valves again during my last oil change, and the timing hole cover was definately tight.

ben

WOW, oil capacity on the tranny side is 590 ml and you went all the way up to 850?? I think you found your problem! I know alot of people run an additional 100 ml with no problems but too much oil will cause seals to blow out.

No it won't blow a seal. There's guys running a full quart in the 450x's and 450r's with the Rekluse autoclutch.

I have a +100ml clutch cover and I run 750ml.

You probably have a blown seal behind the water pump. Whether it is from the oil level, I don't know. There are two seals, tranny side and coolant side, they are butted together with a small air space inbetween. When one blows it will leak to that air space that is drained by that weap hole. Oubviously it must be your tranny side seal, but replace them both. They are cheap and in the same place.

If that is it, that damn waterpump seal is a pain in the ass. I've already changed it 3 times. Maybe not bad for two years of riding, but still seems frequent.

It did seem as though the oil was coming from the weap hole, just didn't make sense at the time. Only had coolant come from it in the past.

ben

It's your oil seal on the waterpump shaft. Change out the shaft, bearing and both seals and you'll be able to forget about it once and for all. I screwed around with seals when in fact it was the shaft that needed to be replaced.

Exactly. You have to change the shaft, the bearings, and both seals all at the same time. The shaft can get a groove worn in it and cause new seals to fail quickly if you reuse it.

yeah the shaft and bearing are the main culprits here.....as they spin they get groove lines worn in them from the seals......the bearing also gets loose and allows radial play which causes the leaks....

to double check before you rip it apart.....take a pin or paper clip and insert it in the weep hole, and check for oil residue on the clip. good luck

I always change the shaft, bearings, and seals when I replace the bad seals. Guess I have to do it again.

ben