Sign in to follow this  

2006 Valve Recall

I am considering an '06 250F as I can get a killer deal. The dealer (who I trust and have bought many YZ's from) mentioned that the 250F's he has on the floor do not require the warranty valve replacement due to there build date. Does anyone (especially Yami dealers) know this to be the case? I don't want to have problems down the road. If I go the 250F route (250 2 stroke is my other choice), I will probably install a big bore right away, so changing out the valves wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

HI,

I work for the local Yamaha dealer, and have done a boatload of the YZ250F valve recalls. If it's not on the list, then I wouldn't worry about it. They got a bunch of bad valves from their supplier, and it appears to have encompassed all of the '06 line until just recently. If the bike was built after they figured out why they started eating valves like a Honda (just kidding) they put the new ones in it at the factory. Yamaha appears to be very serious about this recall as they have in previous ones I've helped on. If it doesn't fit in the VIN number range, it's doesn't need it.

And of course, if it does blow up, take it back to them, and they'll probably make it right. They sure did for all the early ones that blew up before they knew why they were grenading.

Jeff

Get the VIN number from it, then call another dealer (or have Jeff check it for you LOL) and ask them if Technical Bulletin M2006-009 applies to that VIN - if the VIN is in the Yamaha computer system then it needs to be serviced, otherwise perhaps the latest/newest 06 YZ250Fs have the good valves. I thought the Technical Bulletin M2006-009 affected ALL 06 YZ250Fs but perhaps the cut off was for VIN numbers ending with 16000 and above being OK. The TB does not indicate any range of VIN numbers, so I would suspect that it covers ALL YZ250Fs. Have your dealer enter the VIN number and see what it says, make sure to be there when he does it so that you can see the result yourself.

Av has a great point. I'll see what I can find out from my service manager.

I help them out when they get inundated with work, so I'm not there all day every day. But I'm getting really good at doing the top end on a YZ250F.

The last one I did was a brand new bike, before it was sold. I did it in 1 hr & 11 min, start to finish. If I hadn't had to shim the valves, I could have gotten it done right at 1 hour. Some of the bikes I did I didn't have to re-shim, some I did. They ALL get checked though before I put it back together.

One thing you can check, is look on the steering stem where the VIN number is stamped. After we are done with the update we use a center punch and make a dot underneath the 4th spot in the VIN, it's a "C". If there's a dot underneath it, it's been done. I don't know how it's shown if the motor was built with the correct parts from the factory though. I'll see if I can find that out too.

One thing you can check, is look on the steering stem where the VIN number is stamped. After we are done with the update we use a center punch and make a dot underneath the 4th spot in the VIN, it's a "C". If there's a dot underneath it, it's been done. I don't know how it's shown if the motor was built with the correct parts from the factory though. I'll see if I can find that out too.

Jeff, sounds like you do decent work. Check out my fiasco about 1/2 way down the following link - and the mechanic did NOT punch the required mark under the 'C'!

:thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394503&page=2&pp=10

I am considering an '06 250F as I can get a killer deal. The dealer (who I trust and have bought many YZ's from) mentioned that the 250F's he has on the floor do not require the warranty valve replacement due to there build date. Does anyone (especially Yami dealers) know this to be the case? I don't want to have problems down the road. If I go the 250F route (250 2 stroke is my other choice), I will probably install a big bore right away, so changing out the valves wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Another dealer is wrong again,no surprise. :thumbsup: All U.S. 06 YZ250F's need to have the intake valves replaced.There is no cut off with certain serial #s,I seen the Memo before my bike was done. I would think they are not putting out anymore bikes after June,so your model was already on the floor before the memo came out.

Thanks for the replies guys. Please keep me/us posted with any updates. I tend to agree w/BigRed as my understanding was that every one gets the updated valves. I'll have them run the VIN before I buy & check for a punch mark.

Hi av, Thanks for the kind words. I treat everyones bike like it was mine. If I wouldn't ride it, I wont let it go.

For the valve update, I've done about 20 bikes so far. It's kinda funny, sometimes when I'm checking the clearances, they are ok, sometimes they are way off. But I always check them. It's too easy not too. While I have the head off the bike on the bench, I put the cams back on, tighten them down, and check. When the head is right there, it couldn't be easier.

No excuse not too.

Hi av, Thanks for the kind words. I treat everyones bike like it was mine. If I wouldn't ride it, I wont let it go.

For the valve update, I've done about 20 bikes so far. It's kinda funny, sometimes when I'm checking the clearances, they are ok, sometimes they are way off. But I always check them. It's too easy not too. While I have the head off the bike on the bench, I put the cams back on, tighten them down, and check. When the head is right there, it couldn't be easier.

No excuse not too.

Checking the clearances with the head on a bench, and cam caps torqued on the cams,is it the same as .When you mount the head on the cylinder, and hook up the cam chain TIGHTENED,and the cam caps torqued,are you going to get the same valve clearances? Also when you have the head on the bench,are you positioning the cams in the TDC position?

Were the WRs affected by this valve problem or only the YZFs??

You are good to go with a WR. :thumbsup:

Checking the clearances with the head on a bench, and cam caps torqued on the cams,is it the same as .When you mount the head on the cylinder, and hook up the cam chain TIGHTENED,and the cam caps torqued,are you going to get the same valve clearances? Also when you have the head on the bench,are you positioning the cams in the TDC position?

The Technical Bulletin M2006-009 actually tells the mechanic to "install the camshafts temporarily in the cylinder head and adjust the clearance to specification before installing the cylinder head" - this is what Jeff does on the "bench" (i.e. before installing the cylinder head). See item 3 under "INSTALLATION" on page 3 of the TB:

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/TechnicalBulletin_M2006-009/TB-M2006-009-3.JPG

On page 4 of the TB, item 6 states "recheck the valve clearance to ensure the adjustments shims are still correctly positioned in each valve retainer." This part is done AFTER the head is installed on the cylinder - this is typically what most of us do to check and adjust our valve clearance (i.e. with the head installed on the cylinder).

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/TechnicalBulletin_M2006-009/TB-M2006-009-4.JPG

When the head is off of the cylinder (i.e. on the bench), what Jeff does is really the easiest way to check and set the valve clearances. I believe that he HAS TO have the camshafts' lobes positioned correctly to check and adjust the valve clearances, but that is easy to do when the head is on the bench. :thumbsup:

Av, good reply. :thumbsup: I am very surprised the bulletin suggests to use the old intakes to lap the seats. If the used valves have a good amount of time on them,and you use them to lap the seats,I think that is a very bad idea. I am very surprised Yamaha suggests that.My motor was brand new when the valves were replaced,so no need to lap or recut the seats. To be honest, how many mechanics at the dealerships do you really think check the seats.THEY DON'T CHECK THE CLEARANCES. :applause: Butch this is not directed to wards you AT all. :ride: Using used valves to lap seats is a horrible method. I hope the seats were in good condition on most bikes when they replaced new valves,THAT IS SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. :applause:

Hi bigred455,

The first few times I did this I checked everything before I put the head back on, and after. It never changed from what i could measure, so I just check them on the bench, and that's all. When I'm done with the head on the bench, the next place it goes is on the motor, and gets torqued into place.

When I tighten it down, I start out with just a ratchet, and I snug the bolts, pulling the ratchet with 1 finger. Then I use the torque wrench and set them to 15 lbs, then 20, then 27. So I pull them down really slow, and increasing amounts of tension until they are to spec. That casting is very complex, and I'm pretty sure doing it the way I do it, I could never warp the head.

As far as holding the cams in the right place, I just use the marks on the gears, & line them up there. as long as you're on the heel of the cam, it's OK.

Jeff

Hi Av,

Once I am done with checking the valve clearance, the next thing I do is put the head on the cylinder. Unless you turn the head upside down, or drop it :ride: those shims aren't going to move. And If I dropped it, I'd have to kick my own @$$ :thumbsup: for dropping it.

Thanks for the replay Butch,I was just curious if the clearances read different from the bench to the motor with the cam chain hooked up. :thumbsup:

what kind of valves do the 250f's come with, Titanium or Stainless Steel?

and if they do come with titanium, is it OK to re-work head with stainless steel? or are there stronger aftermarket titanium valve available?

They come with Ti valves and if you ever need to replace the valves it is recommended to replace them with Ti valves. These bikes are not Hondas and they don't eat up valves (if you do proper regular maintenance on the bike).

got a question i will very likely be acquiring an 06 yz250f and was wondering if i get the vin could someone here check to see if it was done, im going to assume on a long stretch that it was done as the bike is 5 years old and still is running