Sign in to follow this  

hoping for an easy fix

Trying to blaze new trails in the woods was easy til i got tired.Went down-Thought i bent the bars but when i got home the bars were good.The front tire is cocked alittle with the bars straight.I took it apart and cant seem to figure it out.Axle appears straight but wheel is still cocked.Any info will help.Thanks

I would loosen ever thing up triple clamp, wheel, axle pinch bolts and then re torque. then ck.

thanks ill try that after work I just rebuilt the motor but couldnt figure out the front wheel :thumbsup:

dont lossen anything. go find a tree or fence and bang the front wheel up against it (just like a bikecycle). after a few soft hits, itll be staright

I realize this post is old, but I feel I need to reply. I have always straightend the front wheel with a tree. :bonk: You didn't loosen anything to get it out of wack, so why would you need to loosen anything to straighten it? :p I have done this on my CRF before also. A couple smacks on the side of a tree will get you going and has no drawbacks that I've been able to tell in over 20 years of dirtbiking. I know it sounds barbaric, but it works. :cheers:

I realize this post is old, but I feel I need to reply. I have always straightend the front wheel with a tree. :bonk: You didn't loosen anything to get it out of wack, so why would you need to loosen anything to straighten it? :p I have done this on my CRF before also. A couple smacks on the side of a tree will get you going and has no drawbacks that I've been able to tell in over 20 years of dirtbiking. I know it sounds barbaric, but it works. :cheers:

That works, but it is very hard on the fork seals, bushings and triple tree. Yes I know it wasn't loosened for you to move it in your crash, but if you want to do that mentallity why not try to crash it the other way to get them back? Also when you do that you get alum rubbed onto the forks under high pressure. This acts like grease kinda, and the next time you lay it down they will twist easier. Don't believe me, pull your fork tube out, I bet it has nasty black coating all over where it contacts the triple clamps.

Your probably right, but it's so much easier that I'm going to keep on doing it. :bonk: It has never effected any of my bikes to the extent that I've noticed. :p My fork seals have always lasted their normal expectancy. I think it's safe to say that for the average rider, it won't cause any problems. I'll guess that I've done this probably a hundred times over the years. I definately wouldn't recommend for someone to try something that I thought would hurt their bike. So in conclusion, if you wipe out and twist your forks. If you want to take the time to go back to base and basically remove your front wheel, it will be better on your triple clamp and everything else. But if you want to pick it up and continue riding, then smack it against a tree and never look back. :cheers:

I just stand in front of the bike, turn the bars to side and kick the front wheel the way I want it to go.

In the woods you're not going to take the time to loosen everything up.