Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Building

I discovered that my front rim was about to crack in half while tightening my spokes before practice at a race this weekend. Luckily a generous fellow let me borrow a wheel but, now I have to fix it. Since I'll probably unload the bike the end of next season, I don't want to put a "cool" set of wheels on the bike. So I was wondering, are there any things I need to consider if I swap the rim out myself? I've built bicycle wheels in the past, I figure it ought to be the same but, is that a safe assumption? Thanks in advance

I just replaced my rims with excels. I have the front rim I would sell if you are interested. it's from an 06. Not sure what year yours is.

Lay the wheel on the ground and take a few digital pics of it before you take it apart. That way you'll have something to look at if you mess it up.

The straight-pull spokes on MX bikes make the wheels pretty easy to lace up.

As long as all your spokes are OK and you are going to reuse them, it is very easy. Loosen all the nipples until they are held by one or 2 threads. Lay the wheel on it's side and finish removing the nipples. You can keep all the spokes laying in their basic pattern and position.

Once all the nipples are removed, move the rim and lift it off, keeping the spokes in their position. Now you can lower the new rim into place and start putting the spokes back in and nipples on. Tighten them just one or 2 threads.

Once you get them all in you can put the wheel in a truing stand or use the axle of the bike and mount it up. Start tightening them up evenly all around and then do the final truing. You can tape a sharpie marker to the fork leg to find the high spots and then clean it off the rim with carb cleaner when you are done.