Sign in to follow this  

1986 400 enduro

i had an 86 husqvarna 400 enduro in 1988....had a yz80, got too big, then started riding my dad's 74 honda elsinore 250...one day my dad showed up with it in the back of his truck and said "here you go..what do ya think?" i about shit..that was one of the most awsome 2 stroke i have ever ridden...bar none...it would blow the doors off my 2000 kx500 easy....damn the swedes made a great bike!!!

moreccsthanlbs...I hear you!!

I had a 1987 500cr and a 1986 250cr. Hard to find parts, but

they are out there. Both had 6 gears and talk about FAST!!!

i had an 86 husqvarna 400 enduro in 1988....had a yz80, got too big, then started riding my dad's 74 honda elsinore 250...one day my dad showed up with it in the back of his truck and said "here you go..what do ya think?" i about shit..that was one of the most awsome 2 stroke i have ever ridden...bar none...it would blow the doors off my 2000 kx500 easy....damn the swedes made a great bike!!!

Is the engine blown on your KX 500??? Please... a KX 250 will smoke an 86 Husky 400

Is the engine blown on your KX 500??? Please... a KX 250 will smoke an 86 Husky 400

the husky had a sixth gear.......w/out that 6th gear, you just can't run full out like the husky could...btw, i ate many 250's for lunch in 1999 when i fully restored it(before it got stolen :thumbsup: )...and my kx500 does over 100mph, but my husky te 610 will beat it...6th gear..maybe not off the line, but in the long haul it makes a huge diff

A te 610 is a different story. Of course that might be the fastest dirt bike you can buy . But an 86 400 ?? Seriously I bet the peak HP on that thing was about the same as a modern 250. And the bike was heavier. Im not doubting you beat your buddies on their 250s , maybe youre just a better rider, but all things being equal I'll take my chances on a 250 rather than an old Husky 400 2 smoke. Those models were notoriously overweight and slow.

400 Huskys were really great bikes.... It could easily out run a modern 250 when you snick it into sixth and make short work of a KX500 geared to go 100mph if you were in tighter stuff.

Norman

Ok maybe we are talking about different things here. In top speed sure it will beat a 250 , and maybe beat a KX 500 in tight woods. But if youre talking sheer acceleration Im sure a modern 250 would be faster than that 400 through the first 5 gears. And a drag race against a KX 500 ? well its not even worth mentioning. Otherwise Destry Abbott would have been rebuilding Husky 400s all those years instead of riding the mighty KX.