Sign in to follow this  

O ring chain master links

Having just bought an 04 RMZ250 and gotten back into trail riding after about 15 years absence I find myself having to relearn a lot of stuff.

Do you have to get the master link on an O ring chain installed with a special tool or can you use a standard clip style master link?

Thanks, Bob H

Having just bought an 04 RMZ250 and gotten back into trail riding after about 15 years absence I find myself having to relearn a lot of stuff.

Do you have to get the master link on an O ring chain installed with a special tool or can you use a standard clip style master link?

Thanks, Bob H

Welcome back to riding. You have a ton of experts on this board (I'm not one). I have said being on TT is like having a mechanic in your computer.

I will attempt to answer your question above.

Yes and no. There is a tool available and works very well. However, I have seen people you basic hand tools (hammer and a punch) with limited success. However, if your good, you can probably make it work.

I wouldn't be comfortable using a standard clip on a O ring chain. Due to the chain designs (o rings and etc.). Just my opinion.

I have used a standard link on a o-ring chain in a pinch, but would not recommend it for long term use.

You can buy clip style master links for your O-ring chain, just need to ask for it. It comes with grease and O-rings. Your going to like the O-ring chain, they're tough.