Sign in to follow this  

Proper oil for RMZ250

I did a search and found out a lot about not using moly or super slippery oils with a shared clutch/crankcase but I have a specific question about a specific oil. I used to race CASCAR stock cars a while ago and I was sponsored by Castrol. I have a couple of 5 gal containers of an oil called B-353. It's based on castor oil and I was wondering if it would be OK to use in the thumper. Our stock car engines loved the stuff. We never had an engine fail with it. It would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Thanks, Bob H

I did a search and found out a lot about not using moly or super slippery oils with a shared clutch/crankcase but I have a specific question about a specific oil. I used to race CASCAR stock cars a while ago and I was sponsored by Castrol. I have a couple of 5 gal containers of an oil called B-353. It's based on castor oil and I was wondering if it would be OK to use in the thumper. Our stock car engines loved the stuff. We never had an engine fail with it. It would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Thanks, Bob H

Not the oil question!! :ride:

I am by all means no expert. But, here is what I have learned through the experts here.

Here's in my opinion is what to look for.

- Full synthetic preferred

- JASO MA or API SG/SH

- If no MA or SG/SH, be certain the oil is NOT Energy Conserving. This is probably the most important point.

I am not familiar with the oil you talk about in your post. However, as everyone will probably attest to... These thumpers like good quality oil and be changed pretty frequently. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys,

I can't find a JASO MA rating on the containers of B-353 so I'll just get some oil from my local bike shop. I think they recommend Motul 15-50.

Thanks again for the help, Bob H

I've had my rmz for a year and a half and i have always used the maxima fully synthetic it is the red one. I use 10w-40 and i havent had any problems but recently i changed to the motorex and the stupid thing ceased so i dont recemend that crap and no it wasnt because the bike was old it has been rebuilt by my machine shop