Sign in to follow this  

Need a new bike.

I'm in the market for a new used bike. I only have $2200 though, so that makes things tough. Also, I'm only 5' 6" and 116# so I don't fit very well on a 250F, plus I can't afford one. I really like my TTR125 and could almost keep it, but it's just depreciating in value and I'm not making anymore money. I ride all trails, but on sunday I went on the MX track at our riding spot and had fun, but didn't jump too high or anything. What I really love are trails and my TTR handle everything as good or better than my friend on his CRF250R, just because he's too small for it and he had trouble in slow trails. So I want something where I'd be able to touch the ground easily, preferrably tip toe on both sides. So I thought about the KDX but then thought that'd be too much bike for me and I'd have the same problems my friend had. so then I thought maybe a XR250R could be good for me. What do you guys think?

you should get a yz 125 it would it great on the trail and on the track and they are probably lighter then your ttr and smaller then a 250f

YZ125's are taller than 250F's so thats outta the picture

if you are 5'6 you should have no problem being tip toe on a yz 125

crf is a four stroke..theyre talkin bout two strokes..125's are smaller than 250f's..and lighter..should be perfect..go to ur local dealer and sit on one

and once you set the sag for your weight it should be even easier to touch the ground

Slow down guys, I am 5' 6" and had an 05 yz 125 and tip toed on it.... I also have a ktm (for sale) its a 125 and I tip toe on that too. My neighbor has a 04 rmz 250 ( 4 stroke) and I can tip toe on that, its almost lower then the yz was. I am in the market for a 250 2 smoke, and can tip toe on em'.... You shouldn't have a problem touching either way....

Deal with tip toeing big guy, no need to get fired up, you'll learn to stay up. If you cant deal with tip-toeing, stick with your ttr. I'm 5'6" and im perfectly happy with my yz 125 in steep rocky, rooted, slick, tight trails. Buy the ktm above or a 200xc.

Well you must have long legs. Anyway I'm coming off a TTR125E I don't think I'm ready for a 125 2 stroke. Plus I ride woods I already made a thread asking if a 125 2 smoke would be good and the response I got was NO.

hey man relax we are just trying to help out duude dont get so defense

Well you must have long legs. Anyway I'm coming off a TTR125E I don't think I'm ready for a 125 2 stroke. Plus I ride woods I already made a thread asking if a 125 2 smoke would be good and the response I got was NO.

Let me guess, you asked that in one of the four-stroke forums? Maybe the TTR specific forum? I doubt the people who said no have even ridden a 125 before.

125s are fine in the woods. Yes, you have to clutch it sometimes and it requires a bit of skill. Fine, it'll make you a better rider.

The '05/06 breed of YZ125s are awesome. Bottom end power is actually pretty good and somewhat luggable.

I'm not you guys just don't get that I want a bike for the woods. That I can stop and lug over an obstical. Thats why I want a bike I can touch really well on. Because thats why I did the trails so much better than my friend on his CRF, because I can touch so easy and he can't. :thumbsup:

No, I do not have long legs. Normal.... I have always been short, and my first bike was a 125 2 smoke, so I learned to deal with all the tip toeing, once you do it a couple times its easy... To start with just stop my a rock or mound on one side of the bike to put your foot on, its what I used to do until I got comfortable with tip toeing...... Anyways not to be rude, if your going to answer your own post, then why post??

A yz125 IS the next step up. If you can handle the ttr, you are ready.

In the woods, you want to be on your tiptoes. Feet touching the ground usually means broken foot and/or sprained ankles (ask me how I know).

With the yz125, you'll have a real bike that you can easily adjust the suspension, gearing and performance on. You can then ride the woods and the track.

Why are you under the impression that a yz125 cannot be ridden in the woods?

Or go bigger with a kdx200 or kdx220. They are a geared a little higher.

THe xr250 is a pig. Its heavy.

but then again, if you like your ttr so much, put yz forks on it, bbr cradle frame and then the longer swing arm to raise it up about an inch and a half. Doing that will would probably be just as expensive as buying a used yz125.

Just keep your kids bike if your going to be such a baby about it :ride::applause::applause::applause:

agreed....maybe he can step it up to a moped. he will touch the ground for sure!. BTW i was on a yz250 when i was 13 yrs old and 5'5. you dont need to touch the ground flat footed. if you really have a problem, shave your seat and raise your fork tubes. theres no excuse for a 5'6 person not to ride a full size bike unless they are just scared of it. half of the starting gate at most of my races (or supercross for that matter) are shorter than you. your only other option is the 230 playbikes. just know this, the crf 230 (we have one in the garage for a play bike) may be a little shorter than the 125 but its dry weight is 238 lbs while my current 250sx is only 208. they may be a little lower but they are heavy and gutless as hell. either man up and ride a real bike, or stay on the mini track with the 8 year olds :thumbsup:

also: an xr 250 would be a heavy dated bike that would likely have less power than the 230s. ive ridden a kdx 220 and it felt like a heavy slow version of a race 2 stroke. if you wanna put around on trails with your 60 yr old grandfather or 10 yr old sister, those bikes may be a good chioce. just dont think youll be able to ride any mx track at a decent speed.