Sign in to follow this  

how much is my bike worth

I have had it on craigslist for a couple weeks for $3,000 with gear included and have not even gotten an email on it. I am selling it with all the mods attached minus the fastway pegs and ASV levers. What do you guys think it's worth(pics and mods in my garage). Maybe it would be easier to take off some of the more expensive items and then sell those separate and put the bike up for about $2,500?

Also where have you guys had good luck selling your bikes? I have sold bikes through cycle trader before and both took a long time. I am thinking of putting it in the local newspaper because that's where the more casual looker will be(plus there isn't a thousand other bikes to choose from like there is in cycle trader). I need to ditch this thing fast and get on the crf250 :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Deffinatly try it in the local paper. Ik theirs alot of mods but I think your asking to much, I would try atleast $2,800.

I listed a bike for my buddy on ebay motors and it ended up selling within a week. He had quite a few folks in the region come and take a look at it or call interested. I think it would be worth a try since ebay is such a huge market.

That is wayyyyyyy too much for an 04 YZF regardless of upgrades. Your bike is worth at most 2500 dollars to any educated buyer.

I listed a bike for my buddy on ebay motors and it ended up selling within a week. He had quite a few folks in the region come and take a look at it or call interested. I think it would be worth a try since ebay is such a huge market.

Never thought about that :thumbsup: Did ebay charge you the same flat fee you have to pay like when you sell small items or is it more expensive? And with that is it good to just start low and set a reserve or just start it with how much you want and go from there?

ebay cost more depending how many pictures etc you post plus i believe ebay motors has a little higher fee for vehicles. I put a jeep up once and it cost 60 bucks all together.

Set a starter price of about 1K and set the reserve to what you want out of the bike. you will sell it within 7 days.

I would say too much for a bike in Washington. Because people aren't willing to pay extra for a green sticker bike like what people have to do in California.

But I have no idea how much you should sell it. $2500?

Are you sure you want a CRF250? Why not a 06 YZ250F like how you said you wanted before?

I would say too much for a bike in Washington. Because people aren't willing to pay extra for a green sticker bike like what people have to do in California.

But I have no idea how much you should sell it. $2500?

Are you sure you want a CRF250? Why not a 06 YZ250F like how you said you wanted before?

Because there are ZERO used 06 yz250f's here and if I do find one I know it'll be out of my budget. The CRF250s are going for good prices around here. For instance:

I need to sell mine quick before someone else grabs that one.

My friends bike we listed on ebay was around 3000.00 and they charged I beleive $36 for a 7 day auction. To use a reserve or not is totally your choice. Just remember if you put a reserve you will just get people emailing and asking what the reserve is which really is not fair to the other bidders to give out that info. If I was going to list something I would most likely just start the opening bid at the lowest I would be willing to take for the bike and see what happens. Good luck with what ever method you use.

e bay Just keep in mind there is a reason there are so many CRFs on the market (time bomb) Your deciding to go from the best 250F (likely 2nd now that the KTM is out) to the worst.

I have had it on craigslist for a couple weeks for $3,000 with gear included and have not even gotten an email on it. I am selling it with all the mods attached minus the fastway pegs and ASV levers. What do you guys think it's worth(pics and mods in my garage). Maybe it would be easier to take off some of the more expensive items and then sell those separate and put the bike up for about $2,500?

Also where have you guys had good luck selling your bikes? I have sold bikes through cycle trader before and both took a long time. I am thinking of putting it in the local newspaper because that's where the more casual looker will be(plus there isn't a thousand other bikes to choose from like there is in cycle trader). I need to ditch this thing fast and get on the crf250 :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Take some of the expensive items off and sell them on ebay. You won't be able to use them on your next bike anyway. You should be more than able to make up the price difference that way. Then you can drop the price of the bike. Don't forget, if you still have the stock items laying around - you can sell them also.

One other thing. People around here don't want a "raced" bike. They are scared thinking it will blow up any minute. Most people don't realize a race bike it better maintained and has less hours on it. Take your number off it and just use black-outs on it or leave them stock. Don't tell them it's a race bike. You will be able to tell the people who know a thing or two about bike by the way they look at it and talk to you. The ones that just want something to ride, don't go too deep into it.

local papaer helps alot thats what i used and ppl will call after a week and alot will...good luck

One other thing. People around here don't want a "raced" bike. They are scared thinking it will blow up any minute. Most people don't realize a race bike it better maintained and has less hours on it. Take your number off it and just use black-outs on it or leave them stock. Don't tell them it's a race bike. You will be able to tell the people who know a thing or two about bike by the way they look at it and talk to you. The ones that just want something to ride, don't go too deep into it.

Ummm.... yeah.... just distort the actual facts regarding the bike and you will sell it.

Usually, an 02 race bike will be advertised as "low hours" or "recently rebuilt". 4 strokes are much more difficult and expensive to rebuild.

That bike you want is a good deal, but if you miss it, another deal will come along.

What is wrong with the bike that you have? Or do you just want to upgrade?

It is too old and outdated and I'm upgrading because I want better suspension and handling. I think the CRF will be a great ride as long as I make sure the one I get doesn't already need a valve job.

Man I shouldn't of posted Abrigos bike now one of you guys are probably going to go buy it :thumbsup:

Id say $3000 would be a good price for an 02 with all those mods. But once again live in California and thats why here its a littlre more expensive. Id just say put it in a cycle trader and some local papars with all the mods on it and just wait :thumbsup: I would't want to mess around by taking all the parts on and off :ride:

Mods mean nothing to a bikes value. You can spend a million dollars on a $2,500 bike, and the bike is still worth $2,500.

Also, someone parrotted the old saying that a race bike is not a bad deal since they are better maintained. Are you kidding me? What a ridiculous thing to say. I've seen the worn bearings, trashed valves, bent bars, subframes, swingarms,and bent rims of a race bike, and I'll take a MX bike that's been used on the trails and ridden 10 times in it's life over a race bike that has been practiced on twice a week and bounced off the rev limiter all day on Sunday any day. That old saying is only true of a trail bike that was totally neglected. I know plenty of racers that never maintain their bikes, and just fix stuff as it fails.

So, what is your bike worth? That answer is whatever you can get someone to pay you for it. The market determines that. Start in the local paper with the price you want, and lower it $100 each week until the phone starts ringing. Once a buyer comes and looks at it, it is 3/4 sold. For something as cheap as a dirt bike, local marketing can be more effective. Dirt bikes are everywhere, and no one is going to drive 100's of miles to see your bike unless you're giving it away.

It is too old and outdated and I'm upgrading because I want better suspension and handling. I think the CRF will be a great ride as long as I make sure the one I get doesn't already need a valve job.

Man I shouldn't of posted Abrigos bike now one of you guys are probably going to go buy it :thumbsup:

Assuming you have a job, you can't get a loan on a 06 YZF?