Sign in to follow this  

Oil brand and type?

Sorry to ask but teh search function is disabled AGAIN...

The 05 EXC manual recommends 10W-50 Motorex syn. that brand is pretty tough to come by in my area.

What other oils are you guys using with success?

Thanks

I use Chevron Delo 400 15W-40. I used to find it at Wal-Mart for about $3 a quart. My clutch likes it more than the $12 a liter Motorex.

I'm using Amsoil 20W50 (shows a VTwin on the bottle). Have also used Mobil 1 VTwin (20W50) and MX4T (10W40). All are fully synthetic. Can buy the Mobil 1 for $7 at Walmart.

How often are you changing it and the filters?

thanks

I changed oil and filters at 3 hours and again at 15 hours, now I change oil at 15 hours and filters about every 2nd or third oil change.

The full synthetics that MarkB listed should all be available nationwide. Hiflo makes a less expensive alternative to the stock KTM filters if you want to stay with disposables. K&P/Scotts (same mfg) also make stainless filters for your KTM.

Any name brand motorcycle oil will work great in your 450. Doesn't really matter if it's synthetic, syn blend or dino oil, either. The KTM RFS's just do not seem finicky at all about that. Many, like Hemi, are also happy with diesel oils.

Hemi's oil change interval is right on the money, too.

Munn Racing sells the K&N filters for $4.95 apiece, so less than $10 a set.

I tend to change my oil a little more frequently (about every 10 hours). Having come off an XR, seeing the KTM only holds a little more than a quart, living in the south and the KTM seeming to run hotter, I change more frequently. Just a personal choice . . .

I switched from the Motorex 10W-50W because it is too expensive for frequent oil changes. I'm using the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50W this summer and will switch to the Mobil MX4T 10W-40W this fall when it gets cooler. Mobil oils are full synthetic and are great quality for about $7.00 - $8.00 a Qt. depending on where you get it. I think Motorex is too expensive with no benefit at $14.00 a qt. at my local shop.

It seems to me fully sinthetic is a better choice, I used reg oil and you could tell it broke down quicker. I have been putting Klotz 4 stroke in mine, and its red for 2-3 hrs. Is it normal to get 15 hrs on a bike before changing oil, I sometimes go 1 race or 2 hrs then get all new.

Hi

1. Has anyone tried out the Dumonde Tech Oil?

2. Does it works with the wetclutch?

I just got a 2007 250 XC-F and would like to try it out.

It sounds like a very good oil and will not cristalize internals.

just wanted to see if it is all hype or is it real.

regards,

Charles