Sign in to follow this  

Dump the air box ?

I only ride my supermoto on the street. Was wondering if I could get rid of the air box.????

DR 650

Yes, but replace the box and runner, if any, with something like a K&N pod filter.

In the rain your legs will shield it well enough to prevent getting too wet. But I wouldn't leave it sitting in a downpour unless you check it to see that the runoff from the sides of the tank do not run onto the filter. If it gets majorly wet it could choke off the airflow by too much.

I only ride my supermoto on the street. Was wondering if I could get rid of the air box.????

DR 650

Any particular reason why? It does serve certain performance advantages. Tdub

The bike likes open air. So more could be good..? Maybe move the battery box forward for more Central gravity. And it looks cool.

Broke my collar bone doing a stand up wheelie, that I don't know how to do, at all.

I got time to Kill.

If I were you I'd save all of your parts when doing this. I had originally covered off the front of my airbox on my YZ400 supermoto conversion to use it as a battery box. The motor ran like crap. I tried rejetting/adjusting the carb, but it still didn't run right. I returned everything to normal and it ran like a raped ape again.

My thinking is that the airbox, and funnel into the carb delivers a more straightline flow of air to the carb. Not the choppy, swirling air that was whipping into the pod filter.

That being said, I have heard of some guys pulling this off, and having no problems with it. I guess it depends on the airflow in the area of the POD filter.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck

you can get rid of the air box but keep the stock air boot. if you toss the boot... be prepared for a slower bike.

dan