Sign in to follow this  

How to go off a jump...

Seriously...is this THAT stupid of a question that nobody wants to even touch? :thumbsup:

go off the jump straight if your asking this question i really dont think you want to be doing a whip quite yet. also do a search there are many threads about this already. so stop being lazy and do some research. and i dont think Ricky does a whip on every jump so my advice is go off straight and brake tap if your nose is high and rev the engine if you endo.

Sorry, let me explain. First off...no I'm not trying to do a whip yet. Hell, I'm not even jumping yet. I bought the bike because I have a nephew who does race and needed someone to go out with. He was asking me about this (why MX'ers do whips while racing...what purpose does it serve...slow them down, straighten them out, regain balance, etc.).

Any by the way...I did try to research it on this site but the search function has not been accessible. I have tried and tried and tried.

To reiterate...my question is why throw a tail whip during a race (unless crossing the finish line and showing off)?

I think it's just to show off, i have watch MXers try to correct their direction in mid air by leaning the bike in the direction they want to go though. On this subject of jumping, my 11 year old asked me last night how to keep his front wheel up on a jump, and i didn't quite know what to tell him, i suggested he shift his weight as far back as posible, pulling up on the bars and that he should hit the gas as the front wheel crests the hill, anybody have a better idea?

Showing off is a big part of it. But, it is also a method of preventing the bike from traveling to high/far in the air because the longer you're in the air, the more speed you lose. They want to get back on the ground asap.

Showing off is a big part of it. But, it is also a method of preventing the bike from traveling to high/far in the air because the longer you're in the air, the more speed you lose. They want to get back on the ground asap.

That makes a ton of sense! Thank You :thumbsup:

Looks and feels cool but yes it is used to stay close to ground...afterall you really do not get the best traction in the air...You will also whip to get into position for a close corner upon landing it will help you get into position to take the corner.

most of the time that you see peopling "whipping" in races, they are not actually whipping like you would do a trick. They are srubbing. There's 2 ways 2 scrub that I know of. The first is to just go up the jump as usual but right when u get to the top of the lip, right before you go into the air, let your legs bend and the bike come up to you. That way you're body pushes against the bike keeping it lower. Alot of times when you let your legs bend and the bike come up you want to keep your butt to the side so the seat doesn't hit it and the bike may go a little sideways. and then there's this: http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1030379,00.html

To reiterate...my question is why throw a tail whip during a race (unless crossing the finish line and showing off)?

Another reason to whip is if you have a corner shortly after the landing portion of the jump. If you whip, and don't "dewhip", and you land the front wheel first, you can simultaneously land and move your bike in the direction of the corner. Otherwise you would have to land the jump, then make the turn into the corner.