06 YZ blew up after recall!!!

Hey guys, I have about 30 hours on my 06 yz 250f after it had went in for the intake valve recall. At my race sunday I was in a slow speed section luckily) and start to hear a ticking noise, and then the bike just dies. Pulled it apart and the #3 intake valve broke off at the top of the valve. Wasnt this what the recall was suppose to fix!!??? Has this happened to anyone else, anyone have the number handy to yamaha.

I would hate to be the one to break the news to you but if you haven't figured it out by now,"there are alot of idiot mechanics out there." and if YOU did not check your valve clearence after the repair call yoursaelf MUD.Too many posts on here where the valve clearance was wrong after the warranty repair. Unless you KNOW who is working on your bike NEVER TRUST THE WORK PERFORMED. The longer you own a bike you will figuire this simple teorey out. GOOD LUCK. they will claim you are at fault due to your ignorance of not double checking out THEIR mechaninc work.

OWENLO

I'm not sure if you can still tell after their used, but when they replace the valves (and this is to tell if they did or not) there is a paint marking somewhere on it. Theres also a paint mark on the stock ones but the stock and replacement have different colors. I forget what the colors are but if you search around (possibly look at the sticky and read the tech bulletin, pretty sure it's in that bulletin). I'd check myself but I just about to go to bed.

Did you check the intake clearances after the service was completed?

You may have some fuel for your fight here,the 4th digit of the serial # needs to be stamped by the mechanic after the service is complete. Of course mine was not stamped,but the service was completed.Both of my intakes were off and coolant over the cases. With the intakes clearance being off on a brand new never started motor, I pretty much new the service was completed . I know by the intakes being off, the mechanic never checked. My YZ was brand new when the service was completed then I purchased it. The bike was not even started and the center and right intake were tight. He did not stamp the frame after the service was completed,WHAT ELSE IS NEW. ? If your frame was not stamped,I would use that to fight with.The details to the mechanic are to stamp the 4th digit on top of the frame serial#, after the service.With my bike, I know the service tech thought,Hmmmmm,"this is a new bike,I just need to change the intakes and the clearances will be the same. I know it is very frustrating,but go with the frame not being stamped,you tell them the service was never completed the frame is not stamped. Of Course, check the right side of the steering head for the punch mark. This is probably another story of a incompetent mechanic not checking the clearances. :ride: If they give you trouble, use what was mentioned. f****** dealerships. :applause:

Did you check the intake clearances after the service was completed?

You may have some fuel for your fight here,the 4th digit of the serial # needs to be stamped by the mechanic after the service is complete. Of course mine was not stamped,but the service was completed.Both of my intakes were off and coolant over the cases. With the intakes clearance being off on a brand new never started motor, I pretty much new the service was completed . I know by the intakes being off, the mechanic never checked. My YZ was brand new when the service was completed then I purchased it. The bike was not even started and the center and right intake were tight. He did not stamp the frame after the service was completed,WHAT ELSE IS NEW. ? If your frame was not stamped,I would use that to fight with.The details to the mechanic are to stamp the 4th digit on top of the frame serial#, after the service.With my bike, I know the service tech thought,Hmmmmm,"this is a new bike,I just need to change the intakes and the clearances will be the same. I know it is very frustrating,but go with the frame not being stamped,you tell them the service was never completed the frame is not stamped. Of Course, check the right side of the steering head for the punch mark. This is probably another story of a incompetent mechanic not checking the clearances. :ride: If they give you trouble, use what was mentioned. f****** dealerships. :applause:

I read this and think maybe I better send the head out to RonHamp or PC before even starting the bike. Or maybe get an '07 or a 2 stroke. My '03 had 80 hours on it when I got rid of it. The kid who bought it rode it for two seasons before doing a top end job. The valves were still in spec!

Like bigred455 and others have said, the valve clearances were probably out of spec when you got it back just like on my bike when it came back from the recall. My head bolts were also not torqued down to spec AND the punch mark under the 'C' was not done to indicate that the service had been performed on my bike.

Did you see or smell coolant on your case when it came back? Mine had coolant residue on the case that I could smell and see. If no coolant was found, then perhaps the mechanic never did change out the valves - hopefully the mechanic isn't THAT dishonest.

I've wondered about the punch mark theory, i.e. if the mark isn't there, can we get the job done AGAIN in the future? I really doubt that we can get it re-serviced, since they SHOULD put into their computer that our VIN numbers have been serviced and not depend on a stupid punch mark that apparently many mechanics have forgotten to do. ?

Link to the Technical Bulletin M2006-009:

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/TechnicalBulletin_M2006-009/index.html

Link to my write-up for checking my valve clearances AFTER the job was done - one intake valve was out of spec:

http://av-motorcycles.gotdns.com:9296/06YZ250F/checking_valve_clearances/index.html

I just received my survey from Yamaha today. I am going to fill it out today on line. Oh this is going to be fun. ?

LOL, I'm looking forward to my online survey... Someboby has to keep those mechanics/dealers in line! :ride:

I went to www.Yamahacustomerfeedback.com and punched in my user ID# they give you with the survey. Here is what I had to say.

I had my new 06 YZ250F intake valves replaced before I purchased it.Yamaha sent a memo out for the 06 YZ250F,I knew of this and waited until the dealer received the parts.I wanted the new valves in before the purchase.After the service was complete,I asked the mechanic if he had to reshim the valve clearances after he installed the replacement valves. He told me I worry too much. I checked my intake clearances when I got home. The center intake was .001 and the right intake was .003, The intakes should be .039-.059 he never reshimed my brand new bike. I didn't even start the bike up,I checked my valve clearances as soon as I returned home after buying the bike.I explained the situation to the sales rep and he never returned my call. I shimmed the intakes myself,to be honest I didn't want them touching my bike anyway. They are very lucky I am famaliar with MX motors,I could of been seriously hurt.I race, and to have a brand new bike fail on a face of a jump could be very deadly! The service department is very unprofessional,and incompotent.Like mentioned,the sales and the service department did not reply,no apoligizes,no regrets! I know this is not the only dealership with poor service habits.This kind of neglect to customers bikes is happening all over the country.I just hope no one gets hurt because of there poor service skills. My main reason for purchasing the 06 YZ250F, is because of Yamaha being very honorable with the valve issue. On behalf of Yamaha, VERY GOOD JOB!!! You have gained a valuable customer.

Nice note for the survey.

So you didn't mention the dealer's name or the mechanic's name? Or do they already know this stuff in their system that you got it serviced at dealer X by mechanic Z?

Nice note for the survey.

So you didn't mention the dealer's name or the mechanic's name? Or do they already know this stuff in their system that you got it serviced at dealer X by mechanic Z?

I am thinking they have the dealers info from the serial# on my bike.They did send me the survey,so I believe they have the info,of the dealership anyway.

I won't take my bikes to a dealership to have them worked on. It really is about 50-50 whether they have any clue about what they are doing. I think they are really good at putting on aftermarket exhaust systems on some kid's CBR, GSXR, etc. but I don't trust them with motocross bikes as they are so sensitive to correct wrench-turning. Another thing that really irritates me is when all the sales turds are street bike guys and are completely clueless when it comes to dirt bikes.

Granted, when it is a recall issue then of course you have to use the dealership mechanic...but check it when you get home!

Hey guys heres a update, first to clarify yes I did check the clearance when i got it home, they were all in spec. Also Ill have to check if the frame was punched but I did notice that the head bolts has some noticable almost rounded off wear to them, so im asuming they changed the valves as the head was off. I called yamaha today and they said to take it to the dealer and have a mechanic best determine what caused it, and we would go from their as far as whos paying for it and such. The mechanic I talked to today said theres a way to look at the valves and tell if their from the old batch or the good batch. The recall was done in Nevada however I just moved to Pa so I cant take it back to the place that did the recall. Ill keep everyone informed as to what becomes, thanks for the input.

So the place I bought mine at (on the 22nd of August) is a small dealer in Mtn. Home Idaho. They said that my vin number is not affected by this. I called the big Yamaha dealer in Boise, (the biggest dealer in the north west) and they said ALL of the 2006 YZ250F's are affected.

Who's right?!!??

And if I blow mine up, will the dealer that I bought mine from, replace the motor since they did NOT replace my intake valves?

DAMM, the bike is just one day old and I am afraid to ride it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the place I bought mine at (on the 22nd of August) is a small dealer in Mtn. Home Idaho. They said that my vin number is not affected by this. I called the big Yamaha dealer in Boise, (the biggest dealer in the north west) and they said ALL of the 2006 YZ250F's are affected.

Boise dealer is correct,and that is a fact! All of the 06's YZ250F's intake valves, need to be replaced.The majority of these dealers are clueless,they just do not get the big picture. You have very talented personnel on these bikes today,and to have a dealership not know his or her job,is very dangerous. The dealer in MT took a guess by telling you your serial# is not effected,that is just plain laziness. If I remember correctly the bulleting came out around June,all of the YZ250F's made it to the floor by then. Not only are these dealerships clueless and possibly causing accidents to occur,they are taking money away from there own table. ?

I went to www.Yamahacustomerfeedback.com and punched in my user ID# they give you with the survey. Here is what I had to say.

I had my new 06 YZ250F intake valves replaced before I purchased it.Yamaha sent a memo out for the 06 YZ250F,I knew of this and waited until the dealer received the parts.I wanted the new valves in before the purchase.After the service was complete,I asked the mechanic if he had to reshim the valve clearances after he installed the replacement valves. He told me I worry too much. I checked my intake clearances when I got home. The center intake was .001 and the right intake was .003, The intakes should be .039-.059 he never reshimed my brand new bike. I didn't even start the bike up,I checked my valve clearances as soon as I returned home after buying the bike.I explained the situation to the sales rep and he never returned my call. I shimmed the intakes myself,to be honest I didn't want them touching my bike anyway. They are very lucky I am famaliar with MX motors,I could of been seriously hurt.I race, and to have a brand new bike fail on a face of a jump could be very deadly! The service department is very unprofessional,and incompotent.Like mentioned,the sales and the service department did not reply,no apoligizes,no regrets! I know this is not the only dealership with poor service habits.This kind of neglect to customers bikes is happening all over the country.I just hope no one gets hurt because of there poor service skills. My main reason for purchasing the 06 YZ250F, is because of Yamaha being very honorable with the valve issue. On behalf of Yamaha, VERY GOOD JOB!!! You have gained a valuable customer.

I got a letter that tells me to go to www.mackenziecorp.com to do the online survey. They actually enclosed a $1 bill as a token of appreciation to do the survey - this is the first time that a company actually sent me cash in an envelope to do a survey... :ride:?

Anyhow, the survey was mostly about checking things off to show how satisfy my experience was, etc. There was only one section that asked if I had a problem with my bike that I could actually type in a response but the response was limited to X number of characters Oh well, I did named the dealer that I had problems with so hopefully their name will get back to Yamaha.