side stand switch issue

I recently cleaned my rear chain with the latest super duper chain cleaner degreaser which is not suppose to cause problems on bikes and somehow the stuff got into my sidestand switch. Bike won't start unless i push the plunger in and out a couple times and it makes contact, then starts. I can see the stuff on plunger piston and can hear it inside going swoosh. Any ideas how to get the stuff out? It looks like a sealed unit. I really don't won't to deactivate the switch but it looks expensive, probably a lot more than the can of degreaser costs! ? yikes!

Carefully remove the seat, unscrew the sidestand switch, cut the two wires leading to the switch about 6 inches from the plug, solder the two together, heatshirt the exposed wires, and never worry about the sidestand switch again.

Or try contact cleaner, from radioshack or some other electronics store, WD40 can leave a film that is not good for electrical contacts, and the contact cleaner will help dry out the switch.

I tried just compressed air on its own but to not avail. Too close a fit for the plunger to release the grundge on its own. I'm off to RS now to pick up the contact cleaner, went to grab MY can and remembered the neighbor borrowed it and wouldn't you know it came back empty... ? If all else fails, its going to get the snips. $46.00 for new switch, Yikes!

thanks guys,

Motoretro

Well it wasn't the sidestand switch.....I noticed when starting the bike, my hand was releasing the clutch just a bit and then it would start!. Interesting, huh?. I disassembled the clutch lever assembly with guard and checked things out. Outside of tons of grease in and around the switch, Nothing was amiss. It does not appear there is a adjustemnt for the switch which is what i was looking for. But upon reassembly, I put the lever back in and tightend main bolt and gave it a try, wha la! started exactly the way it should. Now to attach the handguard and attachment washers, and nuts top and bottom. Try it again, nothing! :ride: Evidently by tightening the whole assembly, the unit was distorting just enough to not allow the switch to work. so i loosened the nut just below the spacer at bottom and then reattached the guard attachement nuts and spacer once again while holding the main nuts with a wrench so not to allow a preload on the assembly. Tried it again, worked perfect. Now why this happened...I'm not sure since bike was new and never been wrenched on. Seems like if any thing, the assembly would have loosened up with riding not tightend. Well i'll keep a eye on it but everything seems good now. ?

Motoretro