Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain Stretch

How do you know when the cam chain is stretched. Is there a measurement that can be taken or do you just wait until the noise develops.

How do you know when the cam chain is stretched. Is there a measurement that can be taken or do you just wait until the noise develops.

as far as i know, there's no measurement.

do you have ACCT or MCCT.

i knew my chain was stretching when i checked my valves. cam chain was sagging between cam sprockets.

that is with a MCCT. it's a 2001 i purchased used that still had the ACCT until i swapped it out.

i would pull the valve cover & have a look at the chain 1st if i were you to check the tension.

if you are running the ACCT, you may be able to determine how far it is extended. if it is fully extended replace the chain.

if still using the oe ACCT, replace it with a MCCT to prevent stretching & possible failure.

that's my 2 centavos

I would bring the engine to Top Dead Center of the compression stroke and back-out the socket-head screw on the rear of the ACCT to releive the spring tension before removing the unit.That way the cams are less likely to kick back and move the cam chain.When the ACCT is removed you'll be able to see how far the tensioner has extended as their is a pawl that keeps it from retracting.It's a ratcheting kind of set up.If the tensioner has moved beyond half-way then your chain has reasonably stretched far enough to warrant replacing.You can also see a shadow or wear mark on the tensioner of where the pawl was engaged on the tensioner.

I just went through the whole "stretched cam chain" scenario. I ended up replacing my cam chain, installing a MCCT etc...

My new cam chain was not really an "longer" than the old one

But the MCCT seems to be what got rid of the noise I had....

Here's the thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395460

I will be posting photos soon of the replacement....