Flat Front Sprocket

The dude I bought my "S" from gave me a 14t front sprocket. I got around to installing it today and realized that I don't have the spacer for it (it's a flat sprocket with no built in spacer). Was thinking I could get a couple big-ass washers and do it that way. Is this lame? Wondering if this could cause problems...? Has anyone ever done this? I'd hate to have to buy a new sprocket.

Thanks

Some of the cheap aftermarket sprockets are flat with a spacer to make up the difference. Yes you can buy or make a spacer. Look for what is called a "machinery bushing". It looks like a washer but is not so big on the outside relative to the ID. You need a spacer .120 to .140 inch thick for proper chain alignment and for the nut to correctly tighten on the sprocket. OEM sprockets are .370 thick. 1 piece aftermarket sprockets are usually .390 thick in the center. Your flat sprocket will be about .250 thick.

The dude I bought my "S" from gave me a 14t front sprocket. I got around to installing it today and realized that I don't have the spacer for it (it's a flat sprocket with no built in spacer). Was thinking I could get a couple big-ass washers and do it that way. Is this lame? Wondering if this could cause problems...? Has anyone ever done this? I'd hate to have to buy a new sprocket.

Thanks

Buy a new sprocket of the same make, it'll come with the spacer,install it.. save other sprocket.. When it's time,, reuse the space on the spare sprocket.