Sign in to follow this  

More AMA bs.

I just got done reading an article in one of my mags about how honda and the ama are fighting about the outdoor series. Anyone else read it??? It said that since Toyota is sponsoring the outdoor series that the ama is requiring everyone who participates in the outdoor season to run toyota on their front number plate. Honda is in competition with toyota in the truck series and refused to run the name on their bikes because it would be promoting their competition. After hearing this the AMA said that anyone caught not running the toyota name on their # plates would be disqualified. Now that is a bunch of crap if you ask me, that would be like george bush driving around with a vote for kerry sticker on his car, i personally dont think that honda should have been forced into running their competitions name on their bikes, that should have been their right not to, but once again the ama stepped in and flexed their muscle to show everyone who is the boss.

Run your sponsers logo not the series sponser. B!S! it right............ :applause::ride::thumbsup:

I didn't read the article, but if thats true, the AMA is nuts! If they disqualify Honda, how does that make them look? Guess they don't care.... Its all about the money theses days. :thumbsup:

Toyota paid to sponsor the series and as such paid to have their name on each and every bike that races in that series.

I hope the AMA disqualifies each and every Honda that refuses to run the number plate with the Toyota name on it.

Honda needs to grow up, stop being such a crybaby and play by the rules. If they dont like it, why dont they just outbid Toyota next year?

That would make a lot more sense than protesting something as trivial as their competitior's name on a numberplate and it would make Honda look like a lot less of a crybaby.

Toyota paid to sponsor the series and as such paid to have their name on each and every bike that races in that series.

I hope the AMA disqualifies each and every Honda that refuses to run the number plate with the Toyota name on it.

Honda needs to grow up, stop being such a crybaby and play by the rules. If they dont like it, why dont they just outbid Toyota next year?

That would make a lot more sense than protesting something as trivial as their competitior's name on a numberplate and it would make Honda look like a lot less of a crybaby.

And you don't think Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, and Kawasaki wouldn't scream having to run Honda on their name plates? It's not a cry baby thing when you're in direct business competition. The AMA should have taken this into consideration or at least consulted with with their bread and butter manufacturers prior to making any promises like that to any sponsor. I'd be willing to bet Honda has pumped way more money into the AMA over the years than Toyota but it's become typical lately for the the AMA to say, "yeah but what have you done for me lately?". Don't get me wrong, I'm an AMA Life Member and I support them. But lately, they have been making some very bad, almost amateurish, business decisions.

It really pisses me off how corprate MX is. On the bright side, it's a sign that the sport is growing.

idk but if i was honda id be pissed. they would be advertising there competitor. and that is just stupid. but rules are rules i guess. if i were honda i desgin a graphics kit that is has the toyato crap then under it be like be a man buy a honda or soemthing lol

crybaby? what are you talking about? Think about it man...

Honda souldn't have to run the toyota sticker. Thats just rediculous. why support your competitors?

What about when it was the Chevy Trucks AMA Nationals? Noone complained then. Just goes to show you how wrapped up people have gotten in the moneymaking side.

What about when it was the Chevy Trucks AMA Nationals? Noone complained then. Just goes to show you how wrapped up people have gotten in the moneymaking side.

Closest answer to that is Honda wasn't building trucks and in direct competition with Chevy trucks for the US market at that time. (If you can call that thing Honda builds a pickup truck.)

[Closest answer to that is Honda wasn't building trucks and in direct competition with Chevy trucks for the US market at that time. (If you can call that thing Honda builds a pickup truck.)]

Exactly, it also said that in the article, it said honda was not making a truck at the time that chevy was sponsoring the sx series so they had no problem running the name, honda IS running the toyota name just in case you all were wondering, they had no choice really, be kicked out of outdoor mx, or sport the competitions name.

And you don't think Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, and Kawasaki wouldn't scream having to run Honda on their name plates?....
Wow, I didnt know Toyota was in the buisness of building motorcycles. But heck, I'm going to get a Toyota 450F tomorrow, and the nice thing, I get employee price, plus employee price on parts too!

:thumbsup:

That's business.

If Dunlop became the title sponsor, everyone would have the name Dunlop where it currently reads Toyota, and where it read Chevy Trucks last year. Anyone with a Pirelli, Michelin, or Bridgestone sponsorship would need to just get over it.

Common, logical, and accepted practice in the entire motorsports world. If anything, Honda needs the attitude adjustment, you know they're accustomed to having the AMA in their pocket. If Honda doesn't want to play with everyone else, they can always go play with themselves.

Closest answer to that is Honda wasn't building trucks and in direct competition with Chevy trucks for the US market at that time. (If you can call that thing Honda builds a pickup truck.)

And Chevy didn't make cars at the time that competed with Honda, or Suzuki? Bullsh!t!

Honda wants to walk away from a series they haven't been a player in for years. Instead AMA gets a series sponsor, something alot of their sanctions despirately need, that's willing to stick around, help pay for the show, and do publicity for. Hmmm. Nah, you all are right. AMA should cowtow to Mighty Honda, and just give them whatever they want. Infact, to make up for it, maybe they should require all the other manufacturers to run 250 two strokes against Hondas CRF450 in the top classes in the coming year. That would be in Honda's best interest, and we all know, that's what the AMA is really all about. Working for Honda. Or is it HD this week for you guys? I loose track.

I wish Hustler Magazine would sponcer the series...I wonder how they would like that!

Originally Posted by jbird710

And you don't think Yamaha, Suzuki, KTM, and Kawasaki wouldn't scream having to run Honda on their name plates?....

Wow, I didnt know Toyota was in the buisness of building motorcycles. But heck, I'm going to get a Toyota 450F tomorrow, and the nice thing, I get employee price, plus employee price on parts too!

:thumbsup:

Completely missed the point. That statement was in reply to the previous post that said Honda should sponsor the series and stop being a cry baby; all of the other manufacturers would scream just as loud.

Toyota and Honda do compete for domestic truck market. It's nothing short of bad business ethics for the AMA to demand a company that has been an integral part of this sport to promote it's competition without consulting with that company prior to the arrangement it made with Toyota during the sponsorship negotiations. I'm not blaming Toyota, they are just asking for what they paid for. I'm sure if any of the other manufacturers were competing with Toyota for pickup truck market share, you hear the same complaints from them.

And Chevy didn't make cars at the time that competed with Honda, or Suzuki? Bullsh!t!

Honda wants to walk away from a series they haven't been a player in for years. Instead AMA gets a series sponsor, something alot of their sanctions despirately need, that's willing to stick around, help pay for the show, and do publicity for. Hmmm. Nah, you all are right. AMA should cowtow to Mighty Honda, and just give them whatever they want. Infact, to make up for it, maybe they should require all the other manufacturers to run 250 two strokes against Hondas CRF450 in the top classes in the coming year. That would be in Honda's best interest, and we all know, that's what the AMA is really all about. Working for Honda. Or is it HD this week for you guys? I loose track.

Chevy cars weren't sponsoring the series; Chevy trucks were. Not the same thing by any means. So when Suzuki comes out with a truck and runs the same complaint, are you going to rag on them? Yes, the AMA should consider what Honda has to say because, indifferent to what you think, they have been and integral part of the sport. They do sponsor a little race in Daytona every year in case you may have missed it.

I do like the idea about Playboy sponsoring. :thumbsup: Might not go over well with the women in the sport though.