Sign in to follow this  

Paypal safe for selling bike?

Have a buyer for my bike and he suggested Paypal. Some say it's not a safe way to take his payment.

What say ye?

I say its quicker than waiting for his bank check to clear.

u'll loose ALOT of money in fees if he pays you pay pal (pay pal takes there share of the transaction)....ide ask for extra money to cover those fees

i dont trust pay pal these days, i sold a downhill mtn bike, 3 months later the douch calls the credit card company and sais it wasnt as i decribed, the credit card company reports it to pay pal and they take imediantly make my account negative 2 grand without any questions and im out a downhill race bike which he still has without an explanation

u'll loose ALOT of money in fees if he pays you that way....ide ask for extra money to cover those fees

i dont trust pay pal these days, i sold a downhill mtn bike, 3 months later the douch calls the credit card company and sais it wasnt as i decribed, the credit card company reports it to pay pal and they take my money away without any questions and im out 2 grand and a downhill race bike which he still has without an explanation

Wow, that blows! I would snap if that happend to me!! They just took your money and ran?? I hope you got your bike back.

Wow, that blows! I would snap if that happend to me!! They just took your money and ran?? I hope you got your bike back.

i acually got my bike back a few months later...i went to the same bike shop to look at bikes and my bike was sitting there in the back..i was like &%$#@! and hes like ya some crazy guy sent us this bike wanting us to give him a new bike claiming we broke it...they gave me it back after i proved what happened (the bike was junk, frame was completely trashed) and he even kept my wheels for it

sorry to hijack the thread...i just dont trust pay pal anymore

paypalsucks.com is a good website that tells real crap they do to scam people

Wow, I haven't had any trouble with Paypal (I use it a lot with Ebay) but I'm going to try to stear clear of it after hearing that story.

It is perfectly safe. Its a good way to transfer money, but as for the bike... Now PayPal does charge like 3%, so you could just say PayPal is fine, but he needs to add 3% to cover it unless you are willing to absorb it.

Sweet signature brother! Libs can suck on that one baby.

u'll loose ALOT of money in fees if he pays you pay pal (pay pal takes there share of the transaction)....ide ask for extra money to cover those fees

i dont trust pay pal these days, i sold a downhill mtn bike, 3 months later the douch calls the credit card company and sais it wasnt as i decribed, the credit card company reports it to pay pal and they take imediantly make my account negative 2 grand without any questions and im out a downhill race bike which he still has without an explanation

Welcome to the wonderful world of taking payments with credit cards. It's not PayPal really, it's the credit card companies. They always side with the customer and shaft the merchant. Sometimes I find it amazing that anyone takes credit cards. This kind of stuff happens all the time. Customer buys with credit card, then charges it back and keeps the merchandise. It truly blows.

If you are planning on using PayPal, or any other credit card to receive funds, setup a bank account just for this. Get a free account at Washington Mutual or another bank that does free checking. It's important that the bank is different from your "normal" checking account. Only use it to receive funds. As soon as the money gets to that account, move the $$$ to your normal account. That way they can't suck the $$$ out of your main account. You still have to deal with it, but at least you will not wake up one day completely broke because they sucked your account dry.

Paypal takes alot of money for big transactions. When I sell a something big that requires to be picked up, I only require like $100-$150 deposit, rather then $500 like some people..... You might want to wait for the check to clear, or just have the guy pay you $200 and the rest cash when he picks it up...