Sign in to follow this  

2004 rmz250 how to fix overheating problem

HI i am thinking about buying my friends 04 rmz250 and i am kind of reluctant to buy it cause everyone says that they have a overheating problem i am looking to race it and i was just wondering cause it does have a aftermarket waterpump but i heard the only way to fix the overheating is to put bigger radiators is that true and then i also heard something about the clutch springs are to light any with real answers from expierence thanks alot

There are some mods that help, however nothing works better than keeping air flowing in the rads. The 04's hate to idle and will let you know fast. However Fluidyne oversized rads, Boyseen water pump and impellor, Engine Ice in the rads and yes Two2Cool have solved all the overheating issues in my 04

i got my 04' afew months back, i got the boyseen water pump and engine ice in the radiator but thats it, the bike is fine, as long as u keep the bike movin so it gets good air flow u should b perfectly fine. i really love mine best bike ive owned

i have a 04 and i have a 1.6 rad cap, the high flow water pump and i had engine ice but it would boil over like crazy so i bought a pair of the light speed air tract system for my bike and that helped alot it boiled over a little when riding around slow but it was a night and day difference. well i hated to keep buying engine ice so i bought some zipty waterless race coolant and it hasn't boiled over since and i took the air tract system off and returned it cuz i could idle for a little and it wouldn't even boil over, so i didn't need them anymore. but then my bike started to boil over again and i bought some another pair of the air tract system but i never put them on because i Had to take my bike to the shop to get my valves check and while it was in there they notice that i had a blown head gasket. well i had them change it and the bike doesn't even think of boiling over. i would make sure that the head gasket is good, i would use the boyesen high flow water pump, use zipty racing waterless coolant because engine ice is too hyped up, and the 1.6 rad cap....and if u want i had a brand new still in the bag set of light speeds air tract system that i will sell to u just pm me

Buy a left hand rad off of a 2005 model. It is bigger and will help the heating problem. Using clutch springs from a CRF450 will help the heat from the slipping clutch.

I have also found if you keep air flowing across the radiators it is all good. I also have the waterpump and impeller added on it. Just don't let it idle for long period of time. I check the fluid daily before I ride and keep an eye on it. Don't let it get low if it does boil over.

I had 04' thing ran mint for the half season over heated hot days at the races 110 temp in the sun all day went back to the truck at the end of the race put more coolant in it ran mint. Only thing I could warn you about is the transmission watch that that was the real big problem for the 04's blew my tranny towards the end of the season put me back 700 bucks so that’s the only thing i would watch for if I bought that bike I mean its a great bike but if it starts jumping gear when riding get rid of it

Speaking about trannies.....When my bike gets hot I have noticed that is is almost impossible to find nuetral when riding. I can shut it off and get it into neutral but thats about it. What could be causing this?