Sign in to follow this  

Kick Start on 2005 S

I got a kick start kit for my S and some questions:

1. Still use the electric start, should be able to based on how that engages

2. Don't need anything else outside the kit

3. Should I do anything while I have this all a part?

4. Is the link below accurate on the installation?

http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/gallery/136763/1

Thanks. :thumbsup:

1: yes

2: no u dont

3:lock tite thr primery nut

4: it is accurate ...mostly (pay attention,use common sense and PRE TENSION THE SPRING)

The missing info in the link is to rotate the kick start nechanism to the disengaged at-rest position, then wind the spring to fit in the retaining hole. Then reinstall the retaing strap over the idler gear in the same orentation as you took it off. It is simple after the 1st time. The instructions that come with the kit are correct, just not quite complete enough in detail for the 1st timer. If you are not going to use the manual compressin release parts and want to sell, please PM me.

The missing info in the link is to rotate the kick start nechanism to the disengaged at-rest position, then wind the spring to fit in the retaining hole. Then reinstall the retaing strap over the idler gear in the same orentation as you took it off. It is simple after the 1st time. The instructions that come with the kit are correct, just not quite complete enough in detail for the 1st timer. If you are not going to use the manual compressin release parts and want to sell, please PM me.

Thanks, this is the first time I have done anything like this on a bike, done a few truck engine swaps and rebuilds, but this is new to me so I wanted to make sure I had some good info before I had a pile of parts on the shop floor.

Do I need the manual decompression stuff? From what I read I don't need them.

Only the E and kick start models have the head machned to install the manual compression release parts. S and SM's have just a blank boss cast on the head. If you want to install the manual compression release, the head has to be machined for it.

OK, taking into consideration that you want my decomp stuff...

Do I need it, the last thing I want is to be in the woods dead battery and it won't kick over...

Do I need it, the last thing I want is to be in the woods dead battery and it won't kick over...

i think a better question would be are you willing to have your head machined or replace it with an e or k model head.

You don't "need" it. And not very many people have gone to the trouble to have the head machined. But, in the spirit of full disclosure, a manual compression release can make startng easier with a kickstarter. I would say install the kickstarter, experiment with starting procedure and decide for yourself if you are happy with the results.

If your stuck in the woods with no E-start it is possible to start the bike with a piece of light rope wrapped around a knobbie rolled up around the tire in 5th buddy holding bike pivoted on kick-stand, clutch out, key on, hard pull Varoom works great :thumbsup:

The other consideration is that most exhaust cams have an auto decomp on them. There is the original hot cams the doesn't they don't sell that one anymore.