Sign in to follow this  

UNI Foam filter

I just got a replace foam filter to go into my stock air box. The foam is made by uni and it has 2 colors on it. One side is yellow and the other side is red with the uni label on it. I am just wondering which way to put it into my air box. Do I put it in with the yellow side facing the engine or the red side facing the engine?

How old is your bike ? I have a 2006 and It may be possible for me to look into my air box and let you know the original setup.

Ok I put it on with the red UNI side out. I didn't really think it mattered anyway but i just wanted to make sure.

I would put the UNI logo on the outside. No one will see it but you when you change it. I doubt you carburetor cares.

The UNI filters use 2 different foams. The red (coarse) goes out, the yellow (fine) goes toward the carb.

Make sure you oil it with air filter oil also - regular oil isn't good enough.

On the same topic, how long do you have to lube/clean your filter? i know many people say to clean it like every month or two, but what if you don't ride that much? So my question is about how many outings on the bike or how many hours will it take for it to be necessary to clean the air filter? And what are the consequences also. Anyone here get dirt in their carb or anything?

I have a 108cc mosquito fogger because clay/mud got in the stock XR-70 Airbox and got past the stock filter.

It will cost you an overbore, piston and rings minimum.

I clean mine after every ride now.

I ditched the stock airbox on the XR and run open element now.

I use a cone 39mm KN style filter on a 21mm carb with a uni-filter over the top of it.

I oil the Cone filter and slide the dry uni over the oiled filter.

The uni gets mud and water in it and is easy to clean, especially if on a long ride I can even swap it out if it gets too bad.

The cone filter traps the dust and anything that gets past the uni filter.