Sign in to follow this  

Ripping sound when shifting

Ok I have a 2004 Yama TTR 225 Electric start 6 speed trail bike. My son and I ride it I am 6'1' 230 and he is 5'11" 185. Two big guys but the bike is supposed to be a TANK.

He recently decided he was going to use the bike to ride wheelies up our hill in my yard. Up and down up and down until one day he tells me he hears a ripping sound when he shifts hard from 1st to 2nd.... I take if for a ride and shore enough when you jump on it and shift you hear the ripping sound... almost like the chain is slipping but it is in the gear box....

Now I take it apart mic the clutch plates, steels and inpect the drive.... everything looks ok except for the springs they measure a little light and I get new ones... $20 buck. Put it back together and the sound is still there.

Now I did not see gear chunks or metal when I took it apart no flakes in the oil filter and the oil was pretty clean as I am a fanatic about changing it with recommend yamalube...not synthetic..... I think this is a bigger problem... drive, gears.....hell I don't know.

Can someone help me out?

Does it sound simmilar to an electric motor at really high RPM's? I'm thinking it might have something to do with the electric starter.

i would say its your shift forks bro. theyre bent. you gotta split your cases and have them checked out

My old TTR125 did that every now and then. It sounds like it is trying to find the gear, correct? After you get the front sprocket back on , check and see if it is still there.