Sign in to follow this  

Dumb carb float

I recently rebuilt my topend for peace of mind, and when I reassembled the bike, the carb overflowed like crazy, like the float was set way too high, but I didn't touch the float. I only had the carb off the bike. So needless to say, I re-adjusted the float, but then it was too low, so the bike wouldn't run. I raised it a bit, and it was fine for today. I rode for about 3 straight hours, then stopped because it got too hot out. When I got home, I went to start my bike, and the float was too low. So, I took apart the carb again and raised it. Then, when the bike was off, while the gas is on, it would overflow. But, I then rode around my property for a minute, and when I stopped, it appeared that the float was back to normal. Easy starting, no overflowing. Could I possibly need a new float valve and seat?

Sounds like a sticking float or needle/seat. When the carb drys out, they can stick. Also, is there any debris in the fuel system? A piece of debris gets lodged in the needle/seal, and then the fuel level get too high, and the flot tends to just hold the debris in place. Best way to clear that condition is to turn the fuel off and run the bike till it starts running out of fuel. This allows the float to drop and release the debris from between the needle and seat. Not turn the fuel back ona nd it usually washed it out. I have an inline fuel filter on everythign I own.

I read on a local forum from a dealer that they are seeing a lot of recent issues with stuck or corroded float valves in bikes that have not been run in a couple of weeks.

They are attributing it to the high ethanol content now in the gas, and they are reccomending either draining the carb or adding stabilizer that also prevents corrosion if your bike is to sit for any length of time.