Sign in to follow this  

metal in oil--normal?

I have metal shavings on my magnetic drain plug every time I change my engine oil (100-150 mile change interval) The shavings are about 3/8" long slivers usually 2 or 3 of them along with some smaller bits. Is this normal? the bike has 1000 miles on it and has had 11 oil changes to date. Oh yeah, I should mention the bike is an 06 xc450 and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic V Twin oil. I also hear a verrrooop noise after I stop the engine. It sounds like the starter engaging or releasing. Is that sound normal?

Maybe starter gear metal? I wonder.

I have never seen this kind of metal in the drain oil of any other bike I have ever owned. Ever. I haven't owned a ktm since my 1885 125. Been riding only Hondas and Kawies.

Happy Trails,

Jeff

Shavings that size are not normal for any bike.

Also, Double check the check the rating of the V-Twin oil. I don't think it meets the recommended specs of for any thumper. Especially one that shares engine oil with the transmission.

I'd agre not normal. I find very fine stuff from time to time, but nothing measurable as you describe.

On the M1 V-Twin, I've used it in past thumpers. I believe it is made for bikes sharing tranny oil with engine oil. I also used the MX4T, which was just the 10W40 version in my cruiser which also shares oil.

06 has the improved starter gear. You say they are 3/8 inch long but are they real thin, like slivers, that is normal. Gear teeth are cut by a machine that makes a series of small slices that are like a series of ridges that are almost microscopc. Then when its put into use the gears rub together and the ridges become polished off. The "off" part is what I beleive you are looking at and the amount will decrease as the bike breaks in.