Sign in to follow this  

Council Lake, GPNF

Any of you guys ever camped at Council Lake with a trailer? I've got a 26' overall length trailer that I'll be pulling with my 3/4 ton Dodge, and I'm wondering how many spots will accomodate this setup. I drove up there once, but didn't pay much attention to the site layout. It seemed kind of cramped. I'm taking the wife and kids and I'll be arriving on Thurs, 31 Aug, staying until Sunday. I'll probably need to trailer the bikes down to Blue Lake Trailhead because I don't think the trails out of Council Lake are suitable for the wife and kids. The plan is to trail ride with them on Friday, but if anyone is going to be in the area maybe we can go for a ride on Sat or Sun. Last Sat my dad and I rode the Boundary trail from Elk Pass over to the junction with Summit Prairie Tr #2. Our goal was to go all the way to Council Lake and back(approx 52 mi), but we fell short of our goal. When we camp at Council Lake I'm going to ride it from that direction.

Eric

I was there a few weeks ago and I remember one spot closest to the lake that would take it

I was there a few weeks ago and I remember one spot closest to the lake that would take it

Ya, I think a medium size motorhome was parked there when I was there. That site is kind of in a bad spot because all the traffic flows thru there. Thanks!

Eric, there is a few "family standard double" sites at Adams Fork. This should accomodate all your needs. And trails pass right next to it. You can reserve your site at:right here

I already have a site reserved at Adams Fork as a backup in case there's nothing available/suitable at Council. When we camped at Adams Fork two weeks ago it was alot of fun.

Eric,

There is a couple of lower sites at council that you could get that size trailer in but the rest are just camper and tent sites. The lower sites fill up soon and you get all the dust from people coming and going. There is another site in the area that might be worth a shot, PM me for details.

Dont know how we missed you up there Saturday. We staged at the bottom of the #2 and rode Trail #2 to the Boundary trail and then to #259 and rode the lower section(3 miles or so) of #259 from South to North and then doubled back at the Rock switchback, that was fun. We Ran into a couple guys at Dark Meadow on a KTM and Yamaha. Saw no other riders.

Have fun up there. Best riding in this part of the State, IMHO.

I would not recommend trying to get into Council lake with a trailer. The motorhomes back up the road and into the first slot. You could get in but you can not drive around. The far corner is too sharp for a trailer. I work in recreation on the GP and for many reasons, we can not improve the campground. Ollalie lake or even Horseshoe would be much better for a trailer.