Sign in to follow this  

Wr250?

I have a 2006 WR/CR250 which I purchased new a few months ago. I got it at Bills Motorcycle Plus in Salem Or. They installed a CR ignition, 19" rear wheel, MX front springs and red and white plastic. I really love the bike. I ride some MX courses, GP, enduro stuff and I believe this is a great cross-over bike. Lot's of power, handles great, about 230 lbs and it gets all kinds of attention at the track. Prior to that I had a 2002 WR 250 which was also a great bike but the '06 has more power and seems to feel more nimble.

I don't have any experience with the te250 but the WR must have a ton more power. With everyone so enamored with the 4 strokes people have forgotten how good the 2 strokes really are. Fast, light, reliable and inexpensive to maintain. I am completely satisfied and I am staying with the 2 smoke!

- Bono

I have bono's old 02 WR250. I have never ridden a 4t Husky but I think it's fair to say the WR is lighter (although both bikes are heavy for their respective class), much more powerful, easier to work on, cheaper to work on, less likely to need major work, quieter, and doesn't have to be screamed to move fast. The TE has e-start where the WR has a high and short kick starter which would be tough for a short rider buy I think anyone short should be looking at another brand anyway. In theory the 4t gets better traction but that has not been my experience in the woods, maybe true in MX under full power. In the woods I am always lugging ,which the WR is excellent at, and the bike hooks up very well. The WR will require more careful jetting (very easy carb access though) and mixing gas of course. I would assume the 4t gets better mileage but my WR (with a keihin carb and my short shifting riding style) can go all day without hitting reserve.

I think the things I really like about the bike for the woods would make me hate it for MX but it sounds like the newer ones are more aggressive. I seriously considered a 250 4t because most 250 and larger 2t models have more power then I ever need in the woods and just wear me out. But the WR has a very easy to use power delivery that will not wear a person out or get them in trouble.

I have a ’05 WR 250 and rode a friends ’06 TE 250 the other day.

So in my (very) limited experience I would say the WR is more aggressive, more powerful bike with not so versatile gearbox (close ratio 5 speed). Slim in the midsection, with great handling.

The TE is a very nice bike. The engine is *very* nice IMHO, pulls from low rpm’s and has the nice 6 speed gearbox. The bike feels stable and turns great (like the WR). His bike has low hours, and the suspension felt overly harsh in places. Since then he has broken it in better, and done some work on the forks and is much happier.

When riding the bike, the TE felt a bit thicker in the mid-section.

The WR vibrates a bit, but I felt no vibration from the TE.

I am sure the TE makes a better dual-sport (both bikes are plated) with the 6 speed gearbox, e-start and low vibration.

If your WR vibrates make sure to check the motor mounts. Mine vibrated when I first got it and the two lower mounts were loose. They came loose again in a couple rides so I need to lock tite them

What was the advantage to change over to the CR ignition please? Thanks. Steny

Not sure about the 250's but the 125 CR ignition is supposed to give more snap off the bottom end.

You trade the WR's traction and lugging ability for faster throttle response and higher revs. If anyone wants a CR250, friend has an ex Fast By Ferracci, Steve Lamson bike. It has all the mods, I believe it has all the "Works" titanium parts and 50mm Marzocchi "Works" forks. FBF went through the bike before he got it, but he raced a couple seasons locally on it. $1500 will take it home

Norman

If your WR vibrates make sure to check the motor mounts. Mine vibrated when I first got it and the two lower mounts were loose. They came loose again in a couple rides so I need to lock tite them

Yes, mine does the same thing! keep 'em tight.

You trade the WR's traction and lugging ability for faster throttle response and higher revs. If anyone wants a CR250, friend has an ex Fast By Ferracci, Steve Lamson bike. It has all the mods, I believe it has all the "Works" titanium parts and 50mm Marzocchi "Works" forks. FBF went through the bike before he got it, but he raced a couple seasons locally on it. $1500 will take it home

Norman

Wow that's a steal! My WR250 has the FBF 50mm forks and they rock!

I have a 2006 WR/CR250 which I purchased new a few months ago. I got it at Bills Motorcycle Plus in Salem Or. They installed a CR ignition, 19" rear wheel, MX front springs and red and white plastic. I really love the bike. I ride some MX courses, GP, enduro stuff and I believe this is a great cross-over bike. Lot's of power, handles great, about 230 lbs and it gets all kinds of attention at the track. Prior to that I had a 2002 WR 250 which was also a great bike but the '06 has more power and seems to feel more nimble.

I don't have any experience with the te250 but the WR must have a ton more power. With everyone so enamored with the 4 strokes people have forgotten how good the 2 strokes really are. Fast, light, reliable and inexpensive to maintain. I am completely satisfied and I am staying with the 2 smoke!

- Bono

This is true. the WR is a great HS bike. It's not quite a trail bike..note quite an MX bike. It's good if you are tall and fast. If you ride slowly, other bikes are better (KTM?). It is also rather large and a bit heavier than the other bikes in it's class. (a YZ250 feels like a mini-bike in comparison).

It is not the best turning bike in the world but It is very stable and I don't use a damper on it..on my Yamaha I do.

On the down side it only has 5 gears and they are very tight so don't expect much more than 50mph out of it without winding it to the moon.

It is very well made, reliable, easy to work on and parts are avaliable quick.

Also they tend to be a bit cheaper than the orange bike!

As compared to a 4 stroke I also ride a Yamaha Wr444 and the husky is much more responsive but the 4 stroke does have a way longer and stronger powerband.