Sign in to follow this  

broken bolt

In an attempt to adjust my timing chain on my CB360T I broke the bolt with the lock nut off. There is also a bolt below that my manual does not mention. I put a plug in the hole for now. Any suggestions for removing the broken threaded part down inside the case. I soaked it with some pj blaster. I put a plug in the hole where the bolt broke. It seems to be fine other than the fact I can't adjust thr chain tension. any suggestions? I still have a dead spot at 4000 rpms too...thanks

Get yourself a bolt extractor AKA E-Z out, drill the remains of the broken bolt with the appropiate size drill, tap the E-Z out in with the flat end of a ballpeen hammer and screw it out! Replace with a new bolt, adjust your cam chain, lock down the locknut and go riding for crying out LOUD!

IF the broken part of that bolt fell into your engine DO NOT RUN YOUR ENGINE UNTIL IT IS REMOVED!!! The damage that will be done will turn that engine to junk in nothing flat! Try fishing it out with a magnet or with a pick up tool. On many overhead cam engines you can remove the camchain tensioner cover, hopefully you can access it through there. If that fails, you'll have to pull the top end, as big as a pain in the A that would be, destroying an engine would hurt ALOT more!!!

thanks for your input. The bolt did break of at the threads. So what I have is the broken bolt with the head and shank. The threaded part is still in the engine. As much pressure that it took to break the bolt I am a little hesitent about an easy out. I would have to pull the engine to have access to it. For the time being I have covered the hole with a plug. It seems that oil is not coming out of there with or without the plug. I still question what the bolt directly below the the one that broke is for. I looked in there and it seems to have a spring? It would not come out. The two must be tied together some how. I guess I could just run it as is and not have the ability to adjust the tensioner...thanks....Jim