Sign in to follow this  

'79 xl 185 suddenly runs rough

The Short:

The 185 was picked up from sitting, and cleaned (carb, airbox, valve adjustment {.002}) and ran great. Full power to redline, no hesitation, and a lot of white smoke out the exhaust (burning oil). 125psi comp.

After a chain falling off/lock up rear tire, the bike came back, repaired, and now cuts out badly under most to full throttle at high RPM's.

Things Checked:

Carb was cleaned with carb cleaner and an air gun, jets were not clogged.

Spark was checked, seemed weak.

- Swaped with an XL500's good sparking wire, coil, and plug at all possible arangements, with no change in spark.

- Power going to the coil read 3v or so while kicking.

- Power on the XL 500 read 4.5v or so while kicking. (problem here?)

My guess is its something to do with ther power going to the coil. It has CDI which I am not so familier with, and to my knowlage can't really effect the strength of the spark. Possible stator or wires going to the coil?

The coil grounding connections were wire wheeled to clean it all up, with no effect.

Any Ideas?

The same thing used to happen to a bunch of our early xr200 motors. Every time is was the stator. We eventually swapped to later model ignitions.

I was afraid of this. Since the 185 and 200 motor are almost the same, can you recommend a year range I could get a stator off of?

Thanks,

Jake

also sputter at speed can be a vacuum leak make sure the intake seals good around the carb everywhere.