Sign in to follow this  

First Race This Weekend at Washougal...Please Help...

Hey All, I have decided to make the step up to racing. I have a good friend coaching me through all this, but I need peace of mind from my family here on TT. :thumbsup: So...

Questions...

1. I show up and just pay to get my AMA and they assign me a number? How do I use that # for that day? Do I just use the one on my bike for now?

2. I be in the beginner class 30+ (C or D), but will we all be out alone or will they toss all the A, B and C's together?

3. Will I get a practice on Sunday if I cant show up on Sat? I dont know the track at all.

4. Any advise and encouragement appreciated!

Thanks!

Hope this will help ease into your new adventure:

1. Yes & No.... Just go to sign up's early and pay for an AMA license and register for your 30+ beginner class. You will not be assigned a number, you can use the ones already on your bike, unless somebody else already in the same class is using it. They will let you know if you need to make corrections.

2. You will be in the Beginner practice or 30+ practice session, but will more than likely run in your own beginner class race day. That is pending the turnout of riders in your class and the others. Usually, the 30+ Junior class is heavly stacked and sometimes even has split moto's so more than likely you will not race w/them. Sometimes though they do a split gate (Juniors 1st & then the Beginners) and othertimes they will run them all together.... seen it done many different ways. Don't worry about who you are riding against. Go out there to have a good time and keep it up on 2 wheels! Stay in your line (not weaving back and forth across the track) and you will not have any issues.

3. Yes, you do not have to go to practice on Sat. You will get a short (1 1/2 - 2 lap) practice on Sunday am before the races begin. As far as getting to know the track.... try looking at the Washougal track pics, watch the current Washougal Natl that you recorded over and over and over again.

4. It is a great, safe, fun track to ride. Overall - Enjoy !!

:thumbsup:

Just realize that this race at Washougal is the last race for the Pacific NW Championship and will have a larger than normal crowd there. But everything MX145 said is right.. So if you do race, have fun and ride safe! :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Fun! Here's my take:

1: As already mentioned, show up EARLY to get AMA license and sign up to race. This late in the year the AMA line shouldn't be too bad and they may let you sign up for your class(es) at that window without waiting in the normal sign-up line. The earlier you get there the less likely you'll have to modify your number due to duplicates (first come, first served - for the most part). Bring some tape, just in case (black duct tape if your #s are black).

2: There is no 30+ Beginner (just A, B & C) so you'll be in the C class and they (almost) always get their own race (with very light turnout, they'll run 30C 2nd gate to 30A&B 1st gate but that won't happen at a Pacific NW race). You also could enter the +25 C class if you wan't to double-class it or if it's earlier in the order and you're on a schedule. Pacific NW races take all day.

3: You can practice in the beginner practice and the vet (actually, +25) practice so take advantage of that. In +25, some people will be hauling so don't try to get out front and if someone is passing, just hold your line. The first couple practice sessions will be muddy, so be prepared for that. Here's a lap at Washougal from last year: Lap at Washougal

4: Washougal is a great way to ease into mx. It's really just a fast trail ride (with some whoops thrown in for entertainment). The front of the +30C pack usually moves along pretty well but if you're fast in the woods you can be competitive right away there. If that's the case then the start becomes very important. If you don't care how you do (it really is all about fun) then start towards the outside and let the first turn mayhem happen without you in it. If you want to go for the start, try to start a few gates inside of the dog house (starter box). Watch a couple starts to see how they do it, but expect the starter to point down the line to make sure everyone is ready and then he'll walk into the dog house and drop the gate. He'll change the timing of the drop a little, but it's usually right away so be calm, but ready to drop the hammer. I sit almost on the tank and watch the pin from a few gates down and go as soon as it moves. During the race, unless you're really fast in the corners, generally inside lines are faster (shortest distance and all) and they don't allow someone to pass as easily. Watch for acceleration and braking bumps (especially on the downhill) and change up your lines to miss the big bumps (more important in the 2nd moto). Most of all, have fun!

Great video TJ! :thumbsup: I am looking forward to giving Washougal a try in the near future....

Hey All, I have decided to make the step up to racing. I have a good friend coaching me through all this, but I need peace of mind from my family here on TT. :ride: So...

Questions...

1. I show up and just pay to get my AMA and they assign me a number? How do I use that # for that day? Do I just use the one on my bike for now?

Yes, or you can buy your membership online with a charge card. They will email you a temp ASAP with your permanent number, good for a month, and your permanent will show up before the temp expires. It will be a real long number, I think like 5 digits. Usually you use the last 3 digits. 450 class, you use white background with black numbers, so if you get it online, you can buy your numbers in advance tomorrow, or use some black tape. :thumbsup:

2. I be in the beginner class 30+ (C or D), but will we all be out alone or will they toss all the A, B and C's together?

3. Will I get a practice on Sunday if I cant show up on Sat? I dont know the track at all.

4. Any advise and encouragement appreciated!

Thanks!

I have the rules in "pdf", PM me with an email addy and I will ship them to you

. Might be a good idea to read through it real quick, you'll be way ahead of the game if you do. Also, you can get them from the AMA website, so it when you get your membership. I'd do it online and have your numbers on before the weekend. And while your at the site, download the rules, quick and easy read.

My advice would be to ride like TJRACE. Great video- way to be aggressive!