Sign in to follow this  

Shrader valve/rear shock remote reservoir

Hey guys, first time posting, but have been lurking for months. Finally got my DRZSM last month and loving it. In the owners manual there is no mention of the shrader valve under the remote shock oil reservior in the rear. It does have air in it.. are you supposed to bleed it out like it says for the front forks? there is no spec that i found for the air pressure if it truly needs filling :thumbsup:

If you " know" it has air in it..Sounds like you have already pressed the valve.If so,,, time to take the shock to a shop and have the Nitrogen charge refilled. Should only be $10 or so to have that done.

If you " know" it has air in it..Sounds like you have already pressed the valve.If so,,, time to take the shock to a shop and have the Nitrogen charge refilled. Should only be $10 or so to have that done.

May as well have the shock serviced at the same time (change oil and gas).

That did wonders for my old XR250 when I had it done. :thumbsup:

The shock uses Nitrogen gas inside because air causes the oil to foam up. The amount of pressure can be varied to cause slightly different damping characteristics. It's quite a bit different from the forks, which you do want to run at zero air pressure. If you made it go "hisss", even just a tiny bit, you've lost major pressure. I run mine at 150 psi, it goes from that to zero in about 1/4 second.

chit.. so much for me being curious.. fubar time. :thumbsup: So, what psi should i fill it to?

Remember that it is Nitrogen, not air...so don't go hooking your air compressor up to it! Take it to a shop and have them recharge.

Remember that it is Nitrogen, not air...so don't go hooking your air compressor up to it! Take it to a shop and have them recharge.

will do! thanks for all the responses :thumbsup:

Just a quick curiosity type question. The local tire shop offers nitrogen inflation for auto and truck tires. Could they top off the shock? May be worth checking if you don't have a shop local that does that stuff.

N2 is N2......problem is that cannister is so small.... You should either have a shock pump metering N2 or a special metering system, so not to over charge it, due to it`s small size.

Erling