Sign in to follow this  

How do you make a DR 650 fly?

I am getting used to the DR, and starting to find the limits in the suspension. So far I have stiffer springs in the forks, and a super trap muffler to save weight. Is there any thing else I can do to keep it from blowing the fork seals and bottoming out the rear shock? What mods has everyone done to make the DR more dirt worthy?

Did you upgrade the shock spring when you did the forks?

good call on the rear. The trick to suspension is to get the front stiff as you want then match the rear in stiffness so the flex matches and that will keep the unpredicted behavoir to minimum.

It's easy to make it fly but it's the landings that are hard. I'm trying desperately to find a solution to that. It needs revalving after you change the springs on the front and rear. I just need to find out who can do it.

BTW, a stiffer (much stiffer) rear shock spring will work wonders.

Don't throw good money after bad by modding your rear shock. Replace it with a DRZ400 unit, 2001 or later, with rebound and compression adjustments. Then if the rear end is not to your satisfaction, begin by changing the spring, then on to revalving till you get what you are looking for. The stock shock is extrememly limited as is. The DRZ shock is the same length (18 inches) and can be installed with a bit of work. It totally transformed my motarded DR after I had messed around with a stiffer spring on the OEM shock. I have it set up with the stock DRZ spring and 3.0 inches sag.

... Is there any thing else I can do to keep it from blowing the fork seals ...?

I installed a fork brace which now hits the (trimmed) fender on big bumps if I take them fast enough. This limits fork travel so I don't have to worry about blowing the seals. :thumbsup:

What mods has everyone done to make the DR more dirt worthy?

i got stiffer springs front and rear, but the best upgrade for dirt use is to get on one of my other bikes when i want to jump. i could spend $1000's on the dr and it would still be a heavy soft pig for aggressive dirtriding. works great for touring, commuting, exploring etc... tho.

It totally transformed my motarded DR after I had messed around with a stiffer spring on the OEM shock. I have it set up with the stock DRZ spring and 3.0 inches sag.

The stock DRZ spring is 5.3 kg/mm and for my weight I need a 7.6kg/mm.

I'm going for the stock shock, new spring and a re-valve.