Sign in to follow this  

yz250 or yz450f ?

I have a 2004 yz250f that I race in the vet class ,and I'm getting my butt kicked. everyone rides 450's, I can get a leftover 2006 yz250 cheap. I think the 450 is going to be too much and too heavy. anyone have any suggestions?

I would not hesitate to get the YZ250. I have both and I have more fun w/ the 2 stroke bike and race that more than the 450. My results are about the same on either bike. :thumbsup:

i ride the RMZ450, MY SON RIDES THE KX250F. basically he rides well and kicks my butt. A 250 is much easier to manipulate than the 450. No margine for error on the bigger bike. possibly the downside to riding the 250 is more maintanence.(assuming it is a 4 stroke).

I made the move back to a two stroke about nine months ago after four years on a big four stroke. The two stroke is just so much fun to ride. I can't believe how light and quick the bike feels. If you have the chance to ride an 06 YZ250, do it! I think you will be very impressed.

I've ridden both as well.... I think it depends on the tracks you ride / compete on. If they are tight tracks with alot of turns, I'd go with the 2 stroke. A larger track with longer straight aways, I'd go with the 4 stroke.

My buddy has a 05 YZ250 and I have an 06 YZ450. We are very close in skill level (he's a bit better). Typically, he's quicker in the turns but I typically pass him in the straights or in the air on the jumps. At the end of 4 or 5 laps, we're still right together. It all depends on your preference. They are both great bikes. :thumbsup:

Id go with a 450. Look at it this way, how many pros do you see riding 2-strokes nowdays? Not many.

They are given the chance to ride a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke (the factories dont make them ride a 450), and most of them choose a 450 because it has so much more power than a 250.

450s are actually really reliable (getting 200 hours between rebuilds is pretty common) because you dont have to keep them revved out to get power out of them. With a 250 2-stroke you are going to be rebuilding the motor 2-3 times as often as you would on a 450.

I just got a left over 2004 YZ 250 and rode it for the first time last night and all I can say is WOW!!! :thumbsup: Please take into account I used to race 125 class back in the early 80's and this is the first time riding a dirt bike since. I still have a smile on my face :ride:

I think at this point I would get the yz 250. The biggest reason is this. If KTM has in fact added electric start without the weight, and othewr 4 stroke is now obsolete. With this in mind you stand the chance that your new 06 or 07 bike will be virtually worthless by the end of the year.

The yz 250 has not changed much in the last few years. This can be a good thing. I am not sure what I would change even if I had the power to do so.

Do whatever you need man, at least you're going with Yamaha. I have the '06 450F myself, but was going to get the YZ250 ('06). I hear the difference between the older year models ('05 and older), compared to the '06 YZ450F, is crazy...the '06 is so much better all around it's not even funny. you should have a blast on the 250 man, you will still never use all the power. I love my 450 though, tons of fun, easy to throw around, pretty dang light, and it's a great, awesome bike.

I have both and I'm selling the 450.

I compete offroad.

The 450 makes me ride lazy because the power makes mistakes easier to recover from but you get tired quicker from the brute power and Xtra weight.

The 250 rewards precision and aggressive riding and I seem to ride harder longer.

2cents