Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain off crankshaft ????

Hey all. I know this may have been touched on before but cant seem to find anything.

Just done my first valve check / shim but when I kick the bike over the cam and chain dont move.

Could it have come off the crankshaft ?

Whats the best way to get it back on ??

Thanks in advance :ride::thumbsup:

i did my first top end this last week. i got the cam chain off the crankshaft sprocket. it took me awhile but i learned a way to put it back on. which was hell at first.

*for me* i found it most effective having my left hand at the top controlling the tension and right hand at bottom trying to get the chain back on. i just tightened and loosened my cam chain back and forth til i got a good position while pushing with the tips of my figures to get that thing back on. at first i was :ride::applause: now its cake. the biggest trouble i had is when i took the left cover off the gasket was half still on the bike and other half on the cover. :applause::applause: i would recemend buying a new gasket for left side.good luck ! :thumbsup:

make sure you remembered to put the slack back on the cam chain from that little tensioner hole.... i forgot to do that once and it sounds like thats what you did :thumbsup:

You need to take off the left side cover, the one w/ the oil filter! and then( you don't need to do this, but take the flywheel off with a 20 dollar puller!) but im sure you can get it on there with the fly still on!

Thankyo thankyou thankyou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drain the oil before taking off the left case ??

Sorry bit of a newbie here.

Thankyo thankyou thankyou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drain the oil before taking off the left case ??

Sorry bit of a newbie here.

you dont HAVE to but you will have a lapfull of oil

:thumbsup:

unless you are extremely careful, you will need to order a new gasket for that side because they stick pretty bad.

Thankyou all !!

got the chain back on and managed to keep the gasket in 1 piece !!!!

Took a long time to start which I found a bit strange.

Hopefully alls good for my ride this weekend.

Thanks again !! :thumbsup:

Next time you pull the cam to change shims, make sure you don't rotate the crank. The only way the chain can come off the crank sprocket is when it turns, knots up and bends the little tang below the sprocket.