Sign in to follow this  

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions--Opinions Wanted

I found a 1996 KX 125 for $1,000. The guy says he just had some maintenance done to it, including a top end rebuild. It's never been raced, but has been taken to the track. As far as visually, the bike looks good, although a new front sprocket and chain is needed and probably new tires. The guy says he's had no problems with it starting. He's the second owner of the bike and has kept it well maintained.

How easy/hard is it to find parts for this bike? The bike is kind of old, but they don't die if they're taken care of, right? I looked at kbb's website and the suggested retail is $1640 with the trade is value at $1060.

I also found a 2000 KX 125 in the same basic condition (new top end rebuild, well maintained, new rear tire, chain and sprockets look good, bike is clean) for $1500. Retail value is $2045 with trade in at $1355. I haven't spoken to this owner, but instinct tells me it's been raced.

Which one would be the better deal? I found them on cycletrader and they are in Texas, which means I'll have to travel at least 5 hours to get it. No problem if the bike is worth it, but I'd hate to make that long of a trip and not get either. I'm kind of digging the older '96 one, especially for the price. I don't mind having an older bike as long as it runs and doesn't need more than normal maintenance.

Keep in mind, the bike will be raced.

Another thought for consideration: my son will NOT be able to ride the 125 at all. If I were to get the '96 one, I may not have to sell the TTR and can give it to my son.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. . .

I don't really understand why some think that a bike that's been raced is somehow tainted. Most racers take much better care of their bikes than non racers. That means clean oil every race, air filters, grease bearings, tear down the bike every week and go through everything. New piston and rings on a regular basis, clutch inspected and replaced when necessary etc etc. Now compare that to the kid who rides in the pit, changes his oil once or twice a year, cleans the air filter when it starts to choke the engine and never tears it down to grease bearings and such. If the chain, sprockets and tires are bad, hows the rest of the bike been maintained. A good racer would never let things like that go, they could cost him a race.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that the bike was tainted because it had been raced. I don't know much about dirt bikes. As long as it's been maintained, it's all good. I mention that it may have been raced (the second one) because of my ignorance on the maintenance of raced ones. I know some basics, but don't know if they've been raced so many times if they do, in fact, become "tainted" i.e. need constant rebuilding, higher maintenance after being raced often, etc. I wasn't putting the bike down. I apologize if I gave that impression.

The 2000 KX125 sounds like a better deal so much changes in those four years. As for height you can adjust and lower a little your kid is going to grow fast mine did I always bought a bike for my kid to grow into. I would also agree w/ Danceswithtrees 100% it doesn't take much to maintain a 2 stroke pretty basic and inexpensive and for a good Racer his bike is #1 :thumbsup:

I strongly suggest the 2000, based on parts availability, that was a steller year for Kawi, an you'll be able to equip it with parts from 98-02. I had a 2001 and it still runs great and I can find anything for it. BM

Go for the 2000.

I'd rather buy a raced bike then a bike that's only been "trail ridden". Most of the time, racers maintain their bikes, they have to. Most of the "trail riders" I know ride their bikes hard and put them away wet with little maintenance.