Sign in to follow this  

NJ ATV Registration

It seems like NJ is now registering ATV's.

Is this new, I looked into this a while ago and the website said they did not register ATV's?

has anyone done it?

Here is the website.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Snowmobiles.htm

And the text

Proof of ownership

If you purchased it from a dealership, provide an invoice with the date of purchase, make, model, year, serial number and the dealer's "Sales Tax Satisfied" stamp

If you purchased the vehicle from a private owner, provide the seller's registration that indicates the vehicle was sold and a notarized letter that includes:

Name of buyer

Date of sale

Make, model, year, serial number and purchase price

You will need to fill out sales tax information at MVC and will receive a "Sales Tax Satisfied" stamp upon completion.

The registration expiration date for all snowmobiles and ATV registrations is September 30th.

Use of vehicles in state parks

Properly registered snowmobiles are permitted in some areas of High Point, Wawayanda, Ringwood State Parks and the Stokes and Worthington State Forests in North Jersey. You can check with the park superintendent in advance for more details.

Unregistered ATVs are prohibited in all New Jersey State Parks and Forests – no exceptions.

Use of vehicles in state parks

Properly registered snowmobiles are permitted in some areas

Unregistered ATVs are prohibited in all New Jersey State Parks and Forests – no exceptions.

they have been around for awhile....

SNOWMOBILES only are permitted

unregistered ATV are prohibited in all...

they will take your money, but you can not ride anywhere..

no diffrent then taxation without representation...

Yes, you have been able to register them for years. I'm not sure why since even if they are registered, there's no where to ride them.

All of mine are registered basically so if I am stopped its less of a fine and hopefully no impoundment. They are insured as well. I love it though the state atv handbook is full of contradictions.

Does this mean that atv's also have to be insured? When I registered mine last year at DMV I had an insurance card with me. I recently got my registration renewal form in the mail as well as my insurance renewal notice. I'd like to just renew the registration which cost only $17. I'd prefer not to renew the insurance as that costs $124, but on the registration renewal form it asks for insurance policy information. I suspect DMV wants me to include a copy of a current insurance card. Just seems like such a waste of $124.

they have been around for awhile....

SNOWMOBILES only are permitted

unregistered ATV are prohibited in all...

they will take your money, but you can not ride anywhere..

no diffrent then taxation without representation...

the reason ATV's can be reg and insured is so farmers that have ATV's as a utility vehicle can cross state roads etc.

the reason ATV's can be reg and insured is so farmers that have ATV's as a utility vehicle can cross state roads etc.

Then I guess they register farm tractors also ?

It seems that NJ just learned that they have a cash cow for them selves and for their insurance company buddies. Just like NY. But get stopped with out it and it is like driving a car with out insurance and goes on your licence... it is a SCAM of the largest proportions. I hope you guys in NJ do something about it. For the guys here are basically to dam lazy to get off their duff and fight it..

Then I guess they register farm tractors also ?

yes....see code 51

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Commercial/Commercialvehicle.htm#51

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/AllTerrain.htm

All-terrain vehicle (ATV)

Related Links

ATV Safety Institute

ATV Registration

You do not need a permit or license to operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) in New Jersey. However, the vehicle must be registered and you must observe the following regulations:

* Operator must be at least 14 years old

* Always carry proof of liability insurance and current registration

* Use the ATV for off-road use only

* If you are under 18 years old, you must enroll in the ATV Safety Institute course to obtain a safety certificate*. For information on fees and duration of the course, please check their website or call (800) 887-2887

* Anyone under the age of 16 is prohibited from operating an ATV with an engine capacity greater than 90 cubic centimeters during training or while on public lands or waters or to cross a public roadway

* Individuals cannot sell more powerful ATVs to anyone under 16 years of age

*If you are under 18 years old and only operate an ATV at licensed special events, you are exempt from the safety education course. You are also exempt if the ATV is used in farm operations adjacent to public land, water or public highway where the vehicle is being operated.