Noisy FMF shorty?

Anybody else with a FMF powercore II shorty find that silencer very noisy?

I have a 99 YZ250 with a Fatty pipe and that silencer. This is the second time that somebody comments at the track that my bike is very noisy. It has a very distinct snappy sound (one guy described it as "crisp")

Both times it was suggested to me to look into repacking the silencer. The thing is I had just done that before I got that comment. I suppose I could have messed up the repacking, but frankly it seems that it is so simple that it would hard to do it wrong...

Thanks,

Bruno.

What muffler packing did you use?

The first time (4 months ago) I used white FMF packing material.

This time I used a black material I got at the Honda store. It didn't seem to make any difference.

I don't think I got it too tight as it wasn't very hard to put things back together. It is possible though. I cut things to length but with the Honda material I put all of it in.

The FMF packing was a bit longer and I had to cut some of it off so that the wrap wouldn't be too thick. That's why I thought maybe I didn't put enough in and since I was going to a 4 day MX class on private property I was going to be a good citizen and repack...

Bruno.