Sign in to follow this  

Just bought a gel seat...

I have always wondered why Suzuki never did anything about fixing their seat comfort for the last ten years, as it seems that the hardness of their seat is one of the top complaints from DR owners. It would be such an easy fix for Suzuki, and it seems like they could sell a ton of them if they would just make them more comfortable.

I just bought a gel seat, hoping it would solve the problem, but it really doesn't do anything for comfort. It does lower the seat hight quite noticeably though. Corbin I suppose is the only other option, although it's quite an ugly seat and pricey (compared to the used gel seat I just purchased). I do have a question for other gel seat owners out there...how do I put on those 6 rubber bumpers on the bottom of the gel seat? It didn't come with any, so I figured I'd just take them off my stock seat. Well, they come right off my stock seat, but they don't want to go on the gel seat. Short of taking off the seat cover and the foam/gel, I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts? Also, the gel seat doesn't seem to fit on my bike as well as my stock seat. What I mean is, there are gaps between the seat and the rear fender and side panels. I don't even have the bumpers on the seat and the gaps are already pretty big. Is this just the way it is with these seats?

Thanks.

You can only see the "ugliness" of the corbin when you are looking at the bike.

You can only feel the beauty of the corbin when your butt is covering it.

So ride your bike more than you look at it and the balance swings toward beauty. :thumbsup:

for what it's worth the corbin can be ordered in almost any color with options on individual panel colors and contrasting pipe colors. What the hell do you want in a seat a picasso? I guess I forget how beautiful the stock seat with its almost matching colors was

I have always wondered why Suzuki never did anything about fixing their seat comfort for the last ten years, as it seems that the hardness of their seat is one of the top complaints from DR owners. It would be such an easy fix for Suzuki, and it seems like they could sell a ton of them if they would just make them more comfortable.

You just bought another seat from Suzuki that they would not have sold if the bike came with a different seat from the factory. If people didn't buy Suzuki gel seats or other accessories, providing a good revenue stream to the factory, they might. But as it is, they have sold you two seats. Really, what is in it for them to change? There is no seat that will be acceptable for everyone anyhow.

My solution to the seat discomfort:

A split bicycle seat, dismantled, each side bolted to a side plate. The plates are bolted to a vinyl strap which crosses the saddle. Bungee cords hold the contraption securely to the seat. On top of this (depending on my humour) is either a sheepskincover or an Airhawk air seat. Not pretty, mind you, but it allowed many 12 hour days in the saddle on a recent European tour.

The DR seat is a problem but you don't have to spend $ on a Corbin. You can fix the stock seat. It just takes a little of your time and a trip to Wal-Mart. You'll love the results.

I gathered up an electric knife, heavy duty stapler, some 1/4" deep staples (Arrow #JT21), a dense "memory foam" pillow, some 7/16"-thick closed cell foam padding (camping mat in sporting goods for $6), and a small can of spray glue (crafts dept). I took the seat cover off, removed the foam from the seat pan, turned the foam upside down, and carved out the middle with an electric knife, just like you would scoop out a baked potato to stuff it. I was careful to leave at least 1/2" - 3/4" outer shell so the seat would retain it's stock form once "stuffed".

I took the memory foam pillow and carved out a section equal in length and width to the foam I removed from the seat. The thickness of the memory foam will be a judgement call. This stuff compresses a lot. I used about a 4" - 5" thickness which compresses to less than 1". (You'll want to taper the ends a little)

I then trimmed out a piece of 7/16" closed cell foam padding to match the length and width of the memory foam. I glued them together and put them on the seat pan (no glue on seat pan). There is a ridge on the seat pan so I carve out a void in the foam to even things out, and also tapered the front and rear edges. All this was done with the electric knife. You might not think that the seat cover will go back on but it will as the memory foam is compressed quite easily.

With the seat cover back on, it looks just like a stock seat but now it's triple-density foam!! When I sit on it, the seat height drops about 1.5" but fluffs back up when I get off. It's soft but offers a lot of support. I've given it a 200 mile test and two 125-mile tests, and it's wonderful. The cost was about $50.

Hey jbobst,

The Gel Seat has been on my bike for about two years. I find it quite comfortable for a day's ride (6-8Hours) or double that for a weekend in the back country.

And it is a little lower, about 1.5", which gives you a bit lower center of gravity.

I turned the stock seat around on ebay for almost a break even on buying the gel. BTW, I did not care for the stock seat.

"how do I put on those 6 rubber bumpers on the bottom of the gel seat?"

It has been so long, I don't remember but I do remember it was snap to swap the seats.

Give it a couple of rides before you dismiss the comfort factor.

Good luck.

Troutte

I do have a question for other gel seat owners out there...how do I put on those 6 rubber bumpers on the bottom of the gel seat? It didn't come with any, so I figured I'd just take them off my stock seat. Well, they come right off my stock seat, but they don't want to go on the gel seat. Short of taking off the seat cover and the foam/gel, I don't know what else to do. Any thoughts? Also, the gel seat doesn't seem to fit on my bike as well as my stock seat. What I mean is, there are gaps between the seat and the rear fender and side panels. I don't even have the bumpers on the seat and the gaps are already pretty big. Is this just the way it is with these seats?

Thanks.

When I bought my gel seat from the dealer it came with all bumpers, it was real simple, take old seat off put new one on.

The fit of the new gel seat is as you describe, the gaps are wide and it doesn't really fit very well.

Flea

Thanks for the info everyone. I will definately give the gel seat try before I put it down. Also, I do realize the appearance of the bike is a minor thing (in reference to the corbin ugly comment).

This particular seat was sold to me used without the bumpers. Anyone else have any ideas on how to get the bumpers from my stock seat onto the new gel seat?

Thanks.

I just pulled the bumpers out of stock seat, wetted the little rubber nipples and pushed them into the base of the gel seat..No Problem..Just gellin like magellen. :thumbsup:

The DR seat is a problem but you don't have to spend $ on a Corbin. You can fix the stock seat. It just takes a little of your time and a trip to Wal-Mart. You'll love the results. It's soft but offers a lot of support. I've given it a 200 mile test and two 125-mile tests, and it's wonderful. The cost was about $50.

This is a good bit of engineering! :thumbsup:

I went on a 300 mile ride yesterday which was my longest saddle time with the DR. I started feeling the discomfort after 2 hours so now I know what everyone is talking about!!

A coupla questions though...

1.) Did you hollow out the seat all the way through the top? Or did you leave a 1/2 to 3/4" shell of original foam on the top as well as the sides?

2.)Was the memory foam above the closed cell foam? I'd guess you used the closed cell foam to take up room and attach to the base.

This is good timing because I believe Corbin increased their price to 300$!!!! Thats about = to 100 gal of gas!!! (Or about 6000 miles of fuel)

poundcake,

A friend of mine recommended that I basically do the same thing...lubricate the bumpers, and sure enough, they slid right on!

Thanks.