Sign in to follow this  

Which boots to buy?

Hello all,

I am an average/pretty good trail rider who likes to go out every other week or so and ride about 50-70 miles of single track. I currently wear some Alpinestar Tech8's, but after 2.5 years, they are starting to wear...heavily (the toes have fallen off twice, the sole is worn through, the top flap has a 3" tear in it, the clasps don't work any more...)

What type of boots do you recommend? I was tempted by the Tech10's, but they are spendy and I have heard terrible things about the buckles. I have heard rumors about Gaerne (sp?) and SIDI. What about any others?

I am on a pretty tight budget, so I don't want to spend my life's savings on boots. Obviously the best is going to take some money, so I'm thinking maybe a step or two away from perfect :thumbsup:

Anyone got suggestions? Thanks.

-nitroguy

I just got a pair of Gaerne SG10s. I really like them, they're very comfortable and seem like they'd offer excellent protection. I can't give you ride report, though. I have a broken foot.

I just got a pair of Gaerne SG10s. I really like them, they're very comfortable and seem like they'd offer excellent protection. I can't give you ride report, though. I have a broken foot.

yeah i hear that they are one of the best boots. i have astar boots and i wont by them again. they dint last very long. as for the Gaerne i like them there comfortable.

I got a pair of ARC boots from Rocky Mtn. and for $160. I think they are pretty nice. I've got about a dozen rides on them and really like them so far.

I am on a pretty tight budget, so I don't want to spend my life's savings on boots.

Mind if I ask what your price range is? It may help you a great deal to give us an idea of your limits! :thumbsup:

Boots are definately a piece of protective equipment that you don't want to skimp on.

Since you had Tech 8's and are used to that protection, I wouldn't go into anything lower end that that with the exception of tech 6's if you are trying to save $$$.

Tech 8's and Gaernes are a great boot and so are the new Beriks. I have worn all 3 and can say they are ALL great boots!!!!

I have heard that Sidi's are great too but have no personal experience with them.

Tech 8's

Tech 6

Gaerne

BERiK OVS-PRO Boot

BERiK OVS Boot

i got the T-10's... best boot ive worn and there are wearing great.

I have to sing the praises of the Garne SG10's. I have now ridden upwards of 800 or so miles since getting them last month and love them.

This past weekend I did a 500+ mile Baja ride and I'm convinced that they saved my right ankle from a injury. I'll probably never own another pair of boots. My previous ones were Astars Tech 6's.

I have the SIDI crossfires. Very expensive, but clearly worth it when you look at the quality. however, its not the only good boot out there.

After I went cheap the first time and broke my foot in at least 6 places, I did a really good research on boots. For me, there were only 4 that I wanted to consider.

Sidi, Gaernes, T10 or T8. The Gaernes were definitely 120 bucks cheapter but the safety quality was definitely there.

I chose the SIDI because of the hinge on the ankle, the SRS sole and the fact that I can replace everything on the boot with a screwdriver. The sole on the SIDI is the most protecting thing on the market. It saved my foot last week when I bounced on a rock. It mangled the foot peg but my foot didn't feel a thing.

Id look at a pair of Thor Quadrant boots.

I would too if i didnt care for my leg or ankles.

They are cheap ass cardboard boots.

I toasted a pair of Thor boots in 3 months.

I twisted my ankle big time with Fox`s boots in a lowslide.

That`s $300 bucks spent on boots that went straight to the toilet. They only protect your toes and shins. But they wont help a bit against ankles or leg injuries.

Now i wont wear anythin less than Gaerne`s Sg-10, Tech 6- 8 or 10.

Oxtar boots seem ok. And people on a budget say good things about the Arc 220 boots.

You can go cheap on helmets. An $80 helmet will protect your head the same as a $400 one. The difference is only in weight breathability and coolness.

On boots is a whole different game.

Thanks guys for all the responses.

When I first started riding, 6 years ago, I had some Fox boots (not sure which model, I picked them based on color) and broke my foot because of it (hence my purchase of the T8's).

I sure like the price of the ARC MX220V boots, but I'm afraid I'll get what I pay for. I like the protection of my T8's, but they are also pretty darn heavy.

I guess I hadn't really set a budget yet. I just want to go as cheaply as possible without hugely sacrificing performance (best bang for the buck kinda thing).

Where's the cheapest place to purchase those

I have the arc 220 boot and have a summers worth of motos on them and with very little wear. they are very comfortable and I am so happy I spent $160 instead of $400. I have nothing negative to say about them. you can replace the bottom center of the boot when they do wear for $13 I belive it is.

yeah i hear that they are one of the best boots. i have astar boots and i wont by them again. they dint last very long. as for the Gaerne i like them there comfortable.

I assume you meant "Oxtar" boots. If so, which model did you get? I have the TCX Pro's and they've been great. The have plenty of flex up and down but, very little side to side. For the price I don't think you could find a more safe or comfortable boot. I think I paid $239 plus shipping last year. :thumbsup:

X2 on the Sidis. I'm on my second pair in 4 years. And will buy a third when these wear out. Super comfortable from the get go. "For a boot" :thumbsup:

Bruce

When I first started riding, 6 years ago, I had some Fox boots (not sure which model, I picked them based on color) and broke my foot because of it (hence my purchase of the T8's).

I like the protection of my T8's, but they are also pretty darn heavy.

I guess I hadn't really set a budget yet. I just want to go as cheaply as possible without hugely sacrificing performance (best bang for the buck kinda thing).

Where's the cheapest place to purchase those

You are looking at all the right type of boots. Several, myself included, have had bad things happen. Expensive boots are $400? If you google "2005 SG10" as an example you will find some for $210 in 2 colors, and in 2 sizes - "ALL SALES FINAL" so I would not go that route. You could also find a (slightly) better selection & possibly returnable for around $315. Seems the T8s you had may not be the longest lasting boot from what I have read and they lasted you 2 1/2 years....

Lets put it this way - you are talking about a tank of gas in price difference here spread out over 3(?) years. Find the boot that protects you the way you want, the color and size you want, and make up the $ difference somewhere else, at least that is what I am about to do. Maybe 1 less trip to a relatives house...

I am going to buy boots at either the TT store or a store that advertises on TT.