Sign in to follow this  

lining up front end

as some of you may remember, i had a crash and it threw my front end way out of alinement. i cannot for the life of me get to to run straight again.

any methods you guys use to make sure its dead center?

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

does the axel line up right?

there is a good chance the bar clamp (where the handlebar attaches) could be tweaked causing the bars to be turned a little.

do the forks function fine or are they harsh and sticky.

you should post this in the suspension forum also.

Anytime I tweak my front end I take everything apart. I take the front wheel and the steering nut off and loosen the triple clamps. I slide the top clamp up and back down and reinstall everything. Then there is no guessing and your assured everything is perfectly lined up. Some guys just loosen the triple clamps, stand in front of the bike with the front wheel between there legs, grab hold of the bars and twist them till they THINK they are straight and then tighten them back up. This method never worked for me as I could never get the front end perfectly straight. Then when I would ride I would constantly be wondering whether or not my front end was straight. Just take your time by taking it apart once and go ride with no worries.

i'll go see if i can tweak it a bit.

thanks guys

i had nothing else to do today so i worked on it all day anyway, i had a good time in my garage :thumbsup:

Anytime I tweak my front end I take everything apart. I take the front wheel and the steering nut off and loosen the triple clamps. I slide the top clamp up and back down and reinstall everything. Then there is no guessing and your assured everything is perfectly lined up. Some guys just loosen the triple clamps, stand in front of the bike with the front wheel between there legs, grab hold of the bars and twist them till they THINK they are straight and then tighten them back up. This method never worked for me as I could never get the front end perfectly straight. Then when I would ride I would constantly be wondering whether or not my front end was straight. Just take your time by taking it apart once and go ride with no worries.

What he said. Although I must admit I've been the guy just loosens the front axle, axle pinch bolts, and triple clamp pinch bolts, knocks the front wheel back and forth and called it good. Taking it apart is better, though.