Sign in to follow this  

spoke wrench

OK I've been through the search and did not find the answer I need. I want to get a wrench that will allow me to tighten my spokes. I bought one the other day that's made by Motoboss. It's got 6 sizes 1-6 and it's shaped like a tuning fork with each end having 3 of the sizes stepped into it. However, I could not get the thing to match up to the spokes on the bike. Has someone else found a better tool and can you tell me what the size is?

I got a DRC spoke wrench from Forrest at Wheeling cycle supply. I have only used it once but it worked fine so far. I don't remember the size but the regular wrench came with a bunch of ends so I put the size for the front on one end and the back on the other, handy. I can post sizes later if needs be.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop?action=category&cat_id=64

APiM0H8AAAEAAA06e6UAAAAA-74097.jpg

4" or 6" adjustable wrench (Cresent wrench) works fine.

4" or 6" adjustable wrench (Cresent wrench) works fine.

Dude that's just not good....unless you want to ruin the spoke nuts. I guess that would work but I want something with a more perfect fit as to avoid having to replace spokes....

I have built wheels for years. The adjustable wrench works better than any spoke wrench I have used because it can be tightened to fit snug. I just took apart a set of 35 year old wheels and did not loose a single nipple. You will ruin more nipples with a poorly fitting spoke wrench than an adjustable wrench and a little finesse. You do it your way, I'll do it my way.

My DRC spoke wrench with interchangeable tips just arrived. Problem is, the closest tips it has are 6.4 mm for front, 6.6 mm for rear. These ones fit the spokes, even if it isn't the closest fit. Would it be unwise to use it on my spokes, which are probably 6.3 and 6.5 mm according to the searches I made in TT site? By the way, I got a 2006 SM.