Remove front wheel bearings to repack!?!?!?

Just add a light film of grease to the inner race and thats about it. If you need to grease sealed bearings its time for new ones you do not grease or pack sealed bearings if you try you will wreck the seal as well as over grease this will cause the bearings to chanel through the grease causing damage from lack of lubrication to the bearings as the grease will not flow around the bearing. Removal and install is important to keep outer race even as you remove or install so as not to damage hub and tolerance so be care full a baering driver is a good investment you can use a socket of appropriate size for hubs you want to drive in on outer race.

Is it necessary to remove the front wheel bearings to repack them? It would certainly make the grease packing go easier, but I'd hate to ruin a bearing pounding it out of the hub. What do you all do?

There is a plastic "cap" that covers the actual ball bearings. Take a small flat head screw driver and just pry that little plastic piece up (it will come off pretty easily). Pack the grease in and then put the plastic piece back in.

Just add a light film of grease to the inner race and thats about it. If you need to grease sealed bearings its time for new ones you do not grease or pack sealed bearings if you try you will wreck the seal as well as over grease this will cause the bearings to chanel through the grease causing damage from lack of lubrication to the bearings as the grease will not flow around the bearing. Removal and install is important to keep outer race even as you remove or install so as not to damage hub and tolerance so be care full a baering driver is a good investment you can use a socket of appropriate size for hubs you want to drive in on outer race.

You are kidding right? Thats not going to do anything but lubricate the axle and then your bearings are going to be shot after a short time.

OP, just do as I said above and you will be fine.

the bearings on my 250 are not sealed, nor do they have a cap. They only have a metal shield riding over the balls themselves.

In that case its easy to grease them, but on my bearings they are sealed, so thats why I said to remove the plastic strip.